Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen has darkening Yellow Band around entire screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few months I have noticed a yellow band going around the entire screen. Anyone else experience this?

20190219_081756.jpg

A common fault, if you search on here you'll find lots of similar reports.

They used to replace them, but recently people have been told there is a new version coming so they are waiting forthat rather than replacing them...

Many many many of us are experiencing this. Did I say 'many'? There are a number of threads on this issue and most have found that Tesla is no longer replacing the screens until a newly designed screen is finished, supposedly in the mid-year time frame.

In the interim, you can try doing what a number of us have, put the display in night mode where the yellow banding is not scene. I actually prefer the look of it now, but at the very least your eyes aren't drawn to the ugly yellow discoloration.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
The new part, Revision -C (1084333-00-C) (note that's the screen not the entire MCU) is not supposed to yellow. Previous versions from Mid-2016 on were 1084333-00-A and 1084333-00-B. MCU touchescreens prior to Mid-2016 had a different part number all together (These were the leaking screens.)

Tesla is charging customers to replace this screen. It is $1100 for the part and $189 for labor, plus tax. They are charging me to do so today, but I do not want the yellowing and the other options seem to be half-baked, not definite and no timeframe. So it's not good; but the car is not even 6 months old and it having the screen looking like this isn't something I'm comfortable with.

The whole thing sours my opinion on Tesla quite a bit, since they should be fixing this, but at this point it's their way or the highway; i'd rather my car not look like junk, so I gave in, uncomfortably.

Tesla is charging customers to replace this screen. It is $1100 for the part and $189 for labor, plus tax. They are charging me to do so today, but I do not want the yellowing and the other options seem to be half-baked, not definite and no timeframe. So it's not good; but the car is not even 6 months old and it having the screen looking like this isn't something I'm comfortable with.
In Australia we have very strong consumer protection laws, they won't get away with that here, not possible. I might contact them soon and see if they are fitting the updated screens yet.

Reactions: PhilDavid
The new part, Revision -C (1084333-00-C) (note that's the screen not the entire MCU) is not supposed to yellow. Previous versions from Mid-2016 on were 1084333-00-A and 1084333-00-B. MCU touchescreens prior to Mid-2016 had a different part number all together (These were the leaking screens.)

The whole thing sours my opinion on Tesla quite a bit, since they should be fixing this, but at this point it's their way or the highway; i'd rather my car not look like junk, so I gave in, uncomfortably.
So if what the tech is telling you is accurate, then the story I got from my SC is inaccurate. I was told I could pay for the screen, but they still don't have the new screens in yet and the replacement will almost surely yellow. Once again, no consistency in the story and we just don't know who to believe. It's really abysmal.

So if what the tech is telling you is accurate, then the story I got from my SC is inaccurate. I was told I could pay for the screen, but they still don't have the new screens in yet and the replacement will almost surely yellow. Once again, no consistency in the story and we just don't know who to believe. It's really abysmal.

I find it hard to believe they are currently shipping cars with defective screens that will yellow so they must have a solution to the display yellowing defect.

Unless this is properly fixed, this will cause needless depreciation for the car of anyone affected.

I think the argument is that this is 'cosmetic'...
Our new MS has had the band since Day 1 (December, 2018). I didn't reach out to my tech as I read here that they were redesigning the part. I just reached out to my tech to see if he can put my name on one. We'll see what he says.

But I will absolutely not pay for this. It's defective, the car is under warranty.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I think the argument is that this is 'cosmetic'...

Cosmetic issues that alter use of the car or greatly affect the appearance of the car due to defects in materials or workmanship are covered under the warranty. What if your white exterior paint or white seats turns yellow in some areas after 6 months of normal use? That would be covered under the warranty. This is no different.

Despite all we are hearing I am certain Tesla will do the right thing and replace the displays under warranty, as they should.