Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen in Direct Sunlight -- bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

First post here! I park my Tesla outside, uncovered, in the direct sunlight. When I get into the car, the back of the screen is EXTREMELY hot. Meaning, I can't touch it any longer than 1 second it's so hot.

Is this a bad thing that my screen is always in the sun like this? Should I get a cover? Recommendations?

Cars are generally built to handle these ranges of temperature. Most electronics are designed to work at temperatures like this, it's when they head over 200 degrees that a little cooling is needed.

How do you know how hot it is? I generally look at "hold a finger on it for a second" to be about 140F. 200F+ is when your finger actually burns and leaves a mark.

Take a look at all the other vehicles on the street that now have monitors sticking out of the dash, radar detectors, cameras. They all get that hot on the dash.

Hi everyone,

First post here! I park my Tesla outside, uncovered, in the direct sunlight. When I get into the car, the back of the screen is EXTREMELY hot. Meaning, I can't touch it any longer than 1 second it's so hot.

Is this a bad thing that my screen is always in the sun like this? Should I get a cover? Recommendations?
I leave overheat protection on with fan only. Keeps my car under 120 F, which should be fine for electronics.

Some of the touchscreens in the Model S have developed bubbles (due to delamination) when soaking in the sun too much. Maybe Tesla has made the screens more heat resistant in the Model 3, but to be on the safe side I'd recommend to put up a windshield shade. It may also help prevent premature decolorization of the dash and wood.