Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen is asleep but car can go into gear, learned something new.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is wrong with your car. Mine is on instantly when I get in the car. I’ve never seen it booting up.

I was just about to post this. The screen should be on instantly from when the car is unlocked. There is a known quirk where the screen will shut off if you close the door as you are getting in and simultaneously take your weight off the seat because the car will think no one sat down. It should turn on instantly though when it senses your weight in the seat. Pressing the brake pedal immediately when getting in also keeps it from happening.

One of my irritants is the 3’s screen is off/asleep half the time when I get into the car. Takes a good 20-30 seconds for it to start up and I’m annoyed because I often need to haul ass ASAP.

Just found out today that the screen can be asleep but shifting into gear and moving is not an issue.
Sounds almost like what happened to me about a week after getting my car: Display blank for about 1 minute after shifting into reverse

My screen has turned on every time I've opened the doors, except for the event referenced above and another time when the car unlocked but seemed to be in a shutdown mode (re-booted and it came back alive). Don't believe I've ever had to wait more than 1 second for the display to light up when opening either driver-side door.

I see this issue all the time. I can start driving, but the settings are still in Easy Entry mode. When the screen finally comes on, it says it's on my profile but the seat is not adjusted out of Easy Entry. I have to manually set the profile again.

I too get the 25 seconds of black screen if the car had been off for an extended time (overnight, I think.)

I also discovered the screen will be black if overheat protection is off and the car has sat for 15 minutes or more.

This with pre-v9.
I've left overheat protection on. This could be the differentiator, maybe that feature doesn't allow the vehicle the reach the deepest state of sleep? Or at least not above certain ambient temps.

Cabin overheat enabled usually keeps X/S's out of sleep mode, which takes longer to wake from. Sleep mode reduces your vampire drain, so the cost of a fast-waking car will be higher vampire losses.

Having TeslaFi logging your data with no TeslaFi sleep settings enabled should also keep your car ready to go. An added benefit is that you can geofence where TeslaFi tries to let the car sleep. So you could let it sleep at home but not while out shopping.

I see this issue all the time. I can start driving, but the settings are still in Easy Entry mode. When the screen finally comes on, it says it's on my profile but the seat is not adjusted out of Easy Entry. I have to manually set the profile again.

This happens to me periodically, across several software versions (currently at 42.4). Today I spent 45 minutes in one place and the car woke up instantly when I got back in. Moved less than a 1/4 mile away and went into a store for 15 minutes: blank screen and 'T' reboot when I got back in, however the profile will still be Easy Entry and not move until I manually reselect my profile. Not sure what puts it to sleep so fast.