Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Issue The Past 2 Days. Video In Thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past 2 days my MS has had a screen issue where an exclamation mark would pop up and the other screen would say there is an issue and to take it to an SC.

It shows up, goes away for a second then comes back for minutes at a time. When the message is displayed, the screen doesn't react to touch controls and when I try, a white light shows up in the upper left corner.

I tried resetting it through the steering wheel and powering off the car completely through the settings.

Everything can be seen here in the video: Tesla Model S Screen Issue - YouTube

Funny,
I just had my car at a wheel shop where we swapped my wheels out for a loaner set to paint my wheels. We did not swap the sensors because it will only be for a couple days. Along with the sensor error, there was a "Touch screen needs service" message.
It seemed the screen was not responsive as well. I quickly whipped out my screen cleaning cloth and gave it a really good wipe down while I rebooted the screen holding down the thumbwheels.
The message went away, and has not been back.
I suspect our grimy fingers were activating the capacitive touch in a weird way causing the error.

Is your car web browser currently pointing to a page which refreshes frequently? I had a similar problem at one time that was related to the cache for the browser filling up. I thought that was fixed in a prior software revision but perhaps it is back?

Is your car web browser currently pointing to a page which refreshes frequently? I had a similar problem at one time that was related to the cache for the browser filling up. I thought that was fixed in a prior software revision but perhaps it is back?

Their logs showed that it was a possible issue with the USB which I haven't used since I bought the car. I've only had it for two months so I haven't even needed to charge my phone on it.

SC took it in yesterday and gave me a P85+ as a loaner while they fix it. I won't complain.

I'll report back when they confirm the issue.

I've had the same message come up for the past month or so, ever since the last software update. At first it would come on every time I started up the car, which meant I had to reboot every time because the touchscreen would not respond otherwise. After reboot, it works fine.

I contacted Tesla service and they suggested rebooting both the large screen and the steering wheel dashboard screen, but it still persists despite having done that. What is odd is that it now only occurs occasionally, and only if the car has been charged overnight (but not every time). It is an annoyance, but not enough to warrant taking the time to go to the service center (which is what Tesla service suggested might be necessary).

I am planning to wait until the next software update and hoping that it resolves with that.

I've had the same message come up for the past month or so, ever since the last software update. At first it would come on every time I started up the car, which meant I had to reboot every time because the touchscreen would not respond otherwise. After reboot, it works fine.

I contacted Tesla service and they suggested rebooting both the large screen and the steering wheel dashboard screen, but it still persists despite having done that. What is odd is that it now only occurs occasionally, and only if the car has been charged overnight (but not every time). It is an annoyance, but not enough to warrant taking the time to go to the service center (which is what Tesla service suggested might be necessary).

I am planning to wait until the next software update and hoping that it resolves with that.

Some days mine would be so bad it wouldn't accept inputs for a whole trip. My work drive is about an hour and I couldn't even get the radio on.

Doesn't Leo also have a Model S?

Heard he ordered an X after polling listeners to vote on which he should get.

I had my touchscreen go completely unresponsive to touch input, but otherwise was still "working" (maps would move, etc.). I had the exact same Touchscreen Needs Service message too. Re-boot fixed it and it never happened again (he says knocking on wood!).