Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen leaking fluid bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen has recently started leaking on my 2016 Model S. I have read this liquid is toxic and a health hazard. Tesla is unwilling to address the issue. They are asking $1750 for the MCU upgrade ( price went up apparently)

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to fix this, as the screens are known to not be of automotive grade, and that is why they all break?
Has anyone been able to send a demand letter to their legal team or take them to small claims court? Is there a southern california address where you can serve them papers?

My screen has recently started leaking on my 2016 Model S. I have read this liquid is toxic and a health hazard. Tesla is unwilling to address the issue. They are asking $1750 for the MCU upgrade ( price went up apparently)

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to fix this, as the screens are known to not be of automotive grade, and that is why they all break?
Has anyone been able to send a demand letter to their legal team or take them to small claims court? Is there a southern california address where you can serve them papers?

I thought the screens warranty was extended to 8 years because of the emmc issue. I don't recall the warranty extension wording only being for emmc.
Do some research on that and maybe approach it that way?

I'm not aware of any extension on the screen. Sorry to say, on a 2016 S, the screens are out of warranty. The MCU (for the EMMc memory issue) was extended to 8 years. I've also never heard that the fluid is toxic unless you plan to drink it (not advised). Not sure of the latest screen replacement price, but around $1000 or so. When the seal fails, it does not impact the ability to see the display, so my understanding is it is not a safety issue and no recall has been required.

The MCU2 retrofit gives you a new faster MCU, a new main screen, and a new instrument cluster screen. Both new screens no longer use the liquid that was needed to enhance the viewing angle in the older displays. Keep in mind that if one screen is leaking, the other may soon also start to leak.

As to automotive grade or not, that's guesswork. It may not matter, as I doubt Tesla had many choices back in 2009-2010 when it was designed in. Not all of them fail, but I don't have a good estimate of how many do fail. It is enough to be a known issue. I was lucky and one failed under warranty in my 2013 S. In my 2016 S, I paid for the MCU2 retrofit to get the improved MCU and displays. At least the price has gone down quite a bit. I paid $2700 for my retrofit. Tesla then dropped the price quite a bit.

Reactions: mberrow
Thanks for the info. Correction, the price is now $1750 + tax so back up. My understanding is that the screen will stop functioning, it is not cosmetic. It then leaks down. You claim that it is not toxic, do you know what it is made of? A screen melting into the cabin of the car, made of unknown gooop does not sound so harmeless to humans.

Interestingly before I bought my car, they assured me the door handle problem was fixed, the screen leaking and yellowing was fixed, the whirling in the motors was fixed. All of these failed. Trash quality for a $117k car. Thankfully, my other evs, are built so much better.

Thanks for the info. Correction, the price is now $1750 + tax so back up. My understanding is that the screen will stop functioning, it is not cosmetic. It then leaks down. You claim that it is not toxic, do you know what it is made of? A screen melting into the cabin of the car, made of unknown gooop does not sound so harmeless to humans.

Interestingly before I bought my car, they assured me the door handle problem was fixed, the screen leaking and yellowing was fixed, the whirling in the motors was fixed. All of these failed. Trash quality for a $117k car. Thankfully, my other evs, are built so much better.
Sell the Tesla if it's such poor quality. I'm sure you'll get your money back +. The MCU was well worth it on my 2016 90D. If they promised they fixed things but didn't why complain to us rather than them? You have no receipts; warranties; anything? Enjoy the VWs and let the Tesla go.

No, the screen will continue to work fine with no liquid. Sorry, I have no idea what the liquid is, but I've never heard anyone call it toxic.

I'd sell the car if you feel all other EVs are so much better. Just avoid the Bolt (catches fire), the Toyota Bz4x (wheels fall off), Taycan (center screen problems), and VW id4 (software incomplete). Actually, I'm not sure any other EV maker has as much experience as Tesla with the battery, drivetrain, or software. If you're unhappy with the Tesla, you may be very unhappy if your alternative catches fire or the wheels fall off. Lots of recalls on these legacy automakers that are trying to build an EV for the first time but just have zero experience. At the same time, Tesla didn't have a lot of experience when making the first Model S either and they have had their share of design errors with those early cars. At least they improve the design quickly and offer real solutions. Most other automakers just keep sending out the same crap and real fixes are only made for new production.

Reactions: Ciaopec
No, the screen will continue to work fine with no liquid. Sorry, I have no idea what the liquid is, but I've never heard anyone call it toxic.

I'd sell the car if you feel all other EVs are so much better. Just avoid the Bolt (catches fire), the Toyota Bz4x (wheels fall off), Taycan (center screen problems), and VW id4 (software incomplete). Actually, I'm not sure any other EV maker has as much experience as Tesla with the battery, drivetrain, or software. If you're unhappy with the Tesla, you may be very unhappy if your alternative catches fire or the wheels fall off. Lots of recalls on these legacy automakers that are trying to build an EV for the first time but just have zero experience. At the same time, Tesla didn't have a lot of experience when making the first Model S either and they have had their share of design errors with those early cars. At least they improve the design quickly and offer real solutions. Most other automakers just keep sending out the same crap and real fixes are only made for new production.
Also add some BMW iX and i4 models to the avoid list (NHTSA 22V541000) due to fire hazard, and MB EQS with HV battery failures leaving people stranded, apparently due to software issues that can only be updated at a service center, not OTA.

If anyone has been able to have Tesla fix the leaking screens please let me know?
You cannot fix the screens, they must be replaced. And I think the "fanboys" are just responding to your negative attitude and how poorly constructed Teslas are and how wonderful your other EVs are. Probably a normal response as you seem unwilling to accept you may have to replace the MCU. Things happen. You'll end up with a better experience. My own thoughts were expressed earlier: why not take your aforementioned problems up with Tesla instead of us. If they promised something and didn't deliver your beef is with them. And if you don't like it then all of us suggested you dispose of the Tesla and enjoy your other cars. Seems reasonable. Plus, you can exit the forum, head held high, and never have to deal with fanboys again.

Reactions: byeLT4
The MCU Upgrade is well worth it (and I did it when they charged $2500 for it and still felt it was worth it). You get a new main screen, a new driver dash screen, a new main screen processor board with more memory, additional speed, and better/new graphics that the old system couldn't display. I don't know how long it takes them, but they have to disassemble and reassemble your dash along with the installation so it has to take a few hours. When the upgrade is done, the car is like a new car from an electronics performance point of view...Sorry, but I think you're wasting your time trying to get a screen fluid leak on your 6 year old car covered under warranty...Life is short, get the upgrade done for a reasonable price and enjoy the benefits...

Reactions: Ciaopec
Regarding whether the screens were automative grade, here's a article from a few years ago with a lot of history, including statements quoted as from Elon Musk, about the original sourcing of the screen that seems to state pretty clearly that it was not automotive grade.

It actually has a link to the InoLux (supplier) specification document. This specification document lists the intended application as "industrial application".

Regard the fluid that leaks and any statements of being toxic, I don't claim to be an expert on all the different materials involved, but my understanding is the sticky fluid which leaks is actually an adhesive gel material, not the "Liquid" that's referenced which this is called a LCD, or liquid crystal display.

PCMC thanks for sharing the info and for being objective based on facts. This forum is filled with fanboys who tell you how to feel what to do, they lack objectivity or common sense. Unfortunately, the cult response shows how far people have their head up their ass.

Reactions: RSpanner
PCMC thanks for sharing the info and for being objective based on facts. This forum is filled with fanboys who tell you how to feel what to do, they lack objectivity or common sense. Unfortunately, the cult response shows how far people have their head up their ass.
FWIW

Reactions: evalst2018
Ha Ha another one emerges, you guys need to get a life. There have been 16k of these screens that have failed, out of about 50k cars sold between 2012-2018, and aesculus thinks this is a cognitive or biological problem in me. Why dont you discect this problems from a fanboy perspective of "first principles". You have 25% failure rate on these screens, you think there is a problem. There is a smoking gun, on the quality of these screens not being automotive grade, an you guys have your heads in the sand.

Reactions: RSpanner
""fanboys" are just responding to your negative attitude and how poorly constructed Teslas are"

sadly, if you look around at the # of problems Teslas have had, you would come to the conclusion that a Chevy Bolt is a higher quality vehicle (overlooking the battery problems)
Still, many like me still love our Tesla vehicles,,strange isn't it.

Regarding whether the screens were automative grade, here's a article from a few years ago with a lot of history, including statements quoted as from Elon Musk, about the original sourcing of the screen that seems to state pretty clearly that it was not automotive grade.

It actually has a link to the InoLux (supplier) specification document. This specification document lists the intended application as "industrial application".

Regard the fluid that leaks and any statements of being toxic, I don't claim to be an expert on all the different materials involved, but my understanding is the sticky fluid which leaks is actually an adhesive gel material, not the "Liquid" that's referenced which this is called a LCD, or liquid crystal display.
This is my thought as well. The actual liquid crystal fluid could potentially be toxic, but it’s also a very very tiny amount (measured in microns, I believe). What’s leaking is likely the adhesive between the digitizer and the LCD panel, which is not toxic.

I think what’s happening with a lot of the older MCUs is that the adhesive is breaking down and leaking. The preventative method is to put a UV light on it to re-harden it, but if it’s already leaking then it is likely too late.

Good news is that the MCU2 upgrade is available and adds new functionality and performance to the infotainment.

Best of luck.

Ha Ha another one emerges, you guys need to get a life. There have been 16k of these screens that have failed, out of about 50k cars sold between 2012-2018, and aesculus thinks this is a cognitive or biological problem in me. Why dont you discect this problems from a fanboy perspective of "first principles". You have 25% failure rate on these screens, you think there is a problem. There is a smoking gun, on the quality of these screens not being automotive grade, an you guys have your heads in the sand.
I've moved on from the screen failure with an upgrade to the next gen MCU. I'm moving on from this whining as well because I just ordered a life which is to be delivered from Amazon tomorrow. In that life I won't be subscribed to this thread. AMF