Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen off when door closes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I enter the car the screen is on, but when I close the door, the screen turns off. When I hit the brake pedal the screen turns back on. The screen used to stay on and didn't turn off when the door was closed. Is this something to do with a recent update? I've rebooted and the behavior persists so I assume this is expected behavior? I am on 2019.8.5. I noticed this on 2019.8.3 as well, not sure if before that.

Reactions: coltspackers
1) your phone key wasn't detected / has not connected.

2) you haven't put the key card in the spot that allows driving (when not using the phone).

Hmmm. Interesting. I do notice that when I open the phone screen I have to manually connect to bluetooth often before making calls.

The phone key is used to open the door though. And I can step on the brake pedal, the screen comes back on, put it in gear, and drive away without the physical key card.

I have rebooted with the brake pedal, same issue persists.

Hmmm. Interesting. I do notice that when I open the phone screen I have to manually connect to bluetooth often before making calls.

The phone key is used to open the door though. And I can step on the brake pedal, the screen comes back on, put it in gear, and drive away without the physical key card.

I've experienced this a few times if the car goes into sleep mode. I'll pay attention and see if it happens often.

Used to happen all the time for me, had a faulty seat sensor and the seat was replaced. Now it only happens occasionally, guessing it has to do with how I'm situated in the seat. Can always hit the brake pedal before closing the door to make sure it doesn't shut off.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlah
Hmm, mine does it every single time.
Used to happen all the time for me, had a faulty seat sensor and the seat was replaced. Now it only happens occasionally, guessing it has to do with how I'm situated in the seat. Can always hit the brake pedal before closing the door to make sure it doesn't shut off.
They did just replace the seat bottom foam the last service visit... I will tell them and see if that makes sense to them.

When I enter the car the screen is on, but when I close the door, the screen turns off. When I hit the brake pedal the screen turns back on. The screen used to stay on and didn't turn off when the door was closed. Is this something to do with a recent update? I've rebooted and the behavior persists so I assume this is expected behavior? I am on 2019.8.5. I noticed this on 2019.8.3 as well, not sure if before that.

My car has done this since day 1 (June 2018), every time I enter the car and close the door. The screen comes back on when I put my foot on the brake or touch the screen. I thought it was normal behavior.

My screen frequently goes black when I close the door. I also have bluetooth connectivity issues. And, most recently, my driver's door handle intermittantly stops working.

I had a mobile tech come out and he said the seat sensor is fine. I've also had it in for service and they said the bluetooth is fine and they replaced the door handle but it didn't work again this morning.

It kind of feels like the car is confused as to when I'm actually in it or not.

My screen frequently goes black when I close the door. I also have bluetooth connectivity issues. And, most recently, my driver's door handle intermittantly stops working.

I had a mobile tech come out and he said the seat sensor is fine. I've also had it in for service and they said the bluetooth is fine and they replaced the door handle but it didn't work again this morning.

It kind of feels like the car is confused as to when I'm actually in it or not.

Just checked both coworker's cars - they do NOT turn the screen off when they get in and close the door, definitely not normal.

Reactions: wolfwill23
These “issues” are NOT normal! I never use “key card”. Phone in pocket, open door, screen on. Sit in seat, close door, screen on. Drive, put in park, exit vehicle, close door, screen off. Plug into charge, charge screen on. Charge complete, disconnect charge, screen off. That is what I’ve come to know as “proper functioning”.

Reactions: dcdttu
Mine does it too. I've gotten in the habit of tapping the brake pedal before closing the door to avoid it. Otherwise screen goes off, phone disconnects from BT, and when I tap the brake to turn the screen back on I have to manually reconnect BT from the car's touch screen. Kind of a PITA but whatever. Workable as long as I tap the brake before closing the door.

Mine does it too. I've gotten in the habit of tapping the brake pedal before closing the door to avoid it. Otherwise screen goes off, phone disconnects from BT, and when I tap the brake to turn the screen back on I have to manually reconnect BT from the car's touch screen. Kind of a PITA but whatever. Workable as long as I tap the brake before closing the door.

Hmm, your seat sensors may need to be looked at? I've never had this issue unless I've been sitting in the car for over an hour listening to music. Then yes, the car shuts down without warning while I'm still inside.

Hmm, your seat sensors may need to be looked at? I've never had this issue unless I've been sitting in the car for over an hour listening to music. Then yes, the car shuts down without warning while I'm still inside.
Looks like I was wrong about this, tested yesterday. My screen does not shut off when I close the door while sitting in the seat.

I was confusing it with opening the rear door to buckle my daughter in, then closing before I open the front door. In this scenario, the screen shuts off and BT disconnects as I described above.

the connections for phone key and BT audio/phone are different