Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So recently within the past week or so, almost everytime I get into the car, the screen is just blank and black for about 30-45 seconds and then the Tesla emblem shows and it comes on. Any ideas why the sudden change? It used to turn om as soon as the door was unlocked. Sort of a pain having to sit and wait to drive the car...

Funny. Mine was doing the same thing occasionally since getting the car 2 months ago. Then it seemed to be almost daily after getting the 32.x update. After getting 36.2, I have not had the issue. It seems like the car/computer is rebooting. While the screen is blank, you can still put it in gear and drive.

So recently within the past week or so, almost everytime I get into the car, the screen is just blank and black for about 30-45 seconds and then the Tesla emblem shows and it comes on. Any ideas why the sudden change? It used to turn om as soon as the door was unlocked. Sort of a pain having to sit and wait to drive the car...
Especially if it comes on with the Tesla logo, then it is rebooting. Definitely not what it is supposed to do, but I'd wait for another update before I'd worry too much. I would expect that if you went to a Service Center, they would look at it with a no problems found.

Wait for it to boot, get LTE service and the voice command: “bug report center display crashed and rebooted while parked”

Let Tesla know how often the center display crashes while parked. This should be fixed.

As mentioned earlier, you can start driving with the display off. You won’t have cruise control, autosteer and a few other convenience features, but you don’t need to wait for the display to boot.

Reactions: nvx1977
I think what you're seeing is the car waking up after being asleep. It's not rebooting in the traditional sense. The 3 does seem to be slightly slower than the S to wake up. I've also noticed that when charging, the S will unlock the charge port while sleeping and the button on the charger is pressed while the 3 does not.

How long does the car sit idle before you get back into it? If it's just a few minutes, it could be something else. If it's more than 30 minutes, I'd be inclined to think it's the car sleeping, and not a sign of any other issue.

I think what you're seeing is the car waking up after being asleep. It's not rebooting in the traditional sense. The 3 does seem to be slightly slower than the S to wake up. I've also noticed that when charging, the S will unlock the charge port while sleeping and the button on the charger is pressed while the 3 does not.

How long does the car sit idle before you get back into it? If it's just a few minutes, it could be something else. If it's more than 30 minutes, I'd be inclined to think it's the car sleeping, and not a sign of any other issue.

Screen wakes from deep sleep pretty quickly. OP's behavior (full MCU reboot on wake) is not normal.

The Ranger who was here said that he's heard about this behavior from a few Model 3 owners. He said that he'd bring it up with the Firmware Techs, and also suggested waiting through the week and maybe into the early part of next week for the firmware rollout that's going on right now to finish. If the behavior persists, it would be worth trying to call for support. He did not believe it was a sign of any hardware problem or a sign of any larger looming issue.

Reactions: talkingevs
The Ranger who was here said that he's heard about this behavior from a few Model 3 owners. He said that he'd bring it up with the Firmware Techs, and also suggested waiting through the week and maybe into the early part of next week for the firmware rollout that's going on right now to finish. If the behavior persists, it would be worth trying to call for support. He did not believe it was a sign of any hardware problem or a sign of any larger looming issue.
Were you able to get this resolved? I got my car 5 days ago and am having the same problem. Not all of the time but with increasing frequency, when I open the door, the screen is off. It'll take 30 seconds before it reboots / resets and the T comes up on the screen. I am able to put the car in reverse even with a blank screen, but no backup cameras etc. After about 10s, I'll hear some clicks and pops, which sound to me like system resets or electric relays clicking. I have no LTE connectivity for another minute up to 5 minutes. I've notified the SC and they said they'll ask Fremont to look at the logs for clues. Thanks.

Were you able to get this resolved? I got my car 5 days ago and am having the same problem. Not all of the time but with increasing frequency, when I open the door, the screen is off. It'll take 30 seconds before it reboots / resets and the T comes up on the screen. I am able to put the car in reverse even with a blank screen, but no backup cameras etc. After about 10s, I'll hear some clicks and pops, which sound to me like system resets or electric relays clicking. I have no LTE connectivity for another minute up to 5 minutes. I've notified the SC and they said they'll ask Fremont to look at the logs for clues. Thanks.
Oops, meant to reply to the OP, @dano9258