Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my 2015 Tesla Model S to a premier Tesla only body shop to have what I thought was very minor damage to the front bumper. The repair was costly but when I got the car back it looked amazing and I was happy with the work done. Then I got into my car. The control screen was peeling on the inside. This had happened previously to the dash after my car was at the Tesla repair shop for repairs to the navigation system. Tesla rep told me that it’s a common problem. Now body shop is saying the same thing. Do I have any recourse? I love my car but it pains me to drive it with the screen staring me in the face. Stomach turning. 8A5BA932-8DFB-413D-A35C-73E60A33117C.jpeg

Attachments

• D1900FD5-03C9-4C64-9069-BB6448A104C3.jpeg
    D1900FD5-03C9-4C64-9069-BB6448A104C3.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 254
If you have the mcu1 this is a common problem. The issue is tesla used industrial grade center and dash screen parts. They needed to be automotive grade screens.

The only recourses are:
1) ask for a replacement at the service center and hope they do it for free for you.
2) pay to get it replaced with another mcu1 screen but note this route is temporary and will happen again.
3) pay to upgrade to the mcu2 screen which supposedly is automatons grade and shouldn't happen again.
4) sue tesla to get it replaced with the mcu2 which is automotive grade screen.

Best of luck! Owning a tesla out of warranty isn't cheap so I would save a bit every month to take that into account just like owning a home.

To be a bit clearer, the screen is not peeling, but there is a liquid layer in front of the LCD to slightly improve the viewing angle. If the seal on the edge fails, the liquid starts to come out and you see bubbles or what you see. This "goo" can be messy as it leaks out from the bottom, but it doesn't have much effect on the actual display working, other than it's ugly to see. For a 2015 S, it is out of warranty.

Tesla uses a better design now that no longer needs the liquid layer in the displays. I don't think any replacement screens use the liquid layer anymore, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Keep in mind the instrument cluster may fail as well at some point. The MCU2 retrofit upgrades the computer and replaces both the main and instrument cluster screens with a better design and higher resolution screens. It also adds a number of features. I think it's worth it, but you're not going to get it for free. The old analog radios are also made inop with the retrofit as MCU2 requires digital radios. Tesla can upgrade to the new digital radios at the same time (more cost), and that upgrade only supports FM/XM. AM is a goner.

And then you can get trapped in the yellow border syndrome. There is no escaping it seems.:eek: