TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Screen protector? Important?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Anzir, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

So our Sig S came with a screen protector for the touchscreen. Looking at all the protectors that are out there on the market I'm assuming that it does not come standard anymore. For those of you who have installed one, do you have a recommendation?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Screen protectors never came with cars ...everything out there is aftermarket ...IMO these are not needed ...I clean mine periodically with laptop screen cleaners and find that sufficient ..

3. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Our's definitely came with it and I installed it after delivery. Mind you this was December 2012 but I'm not sure if it was provided by Tesla itself or the service center. This was so long ago that Tesla delivered the car to our driveway, there wasn't a proper service center.

• Informative x 1
  4. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I wouldn't bother personally. The screen seems to have a decent finish on it and it seems out of the way from things that would scratch it? How would you envision something scratching a motionless screen in your console? I mean feel free to add one for peace of mind if you want to. I don't plan on doing that for my car though.

5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I had one on our Model S when we first got it, but got rid of it after a month of so--it was too "draggy" and impeded use of the touchscreen.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

All Tesla vehicles likely have a film placed over the displays during production - and likely removed from the displays during pre-delivery preparation at the Service Center.

We've purchased 3 Tesla vehicles (two S and one X) and haven't found any need for a screen protector. Though we only touch the display with fingers - if anyone tries using a stylus or some other object to touch the display, a screen protector might be a good investment.

7. welcomewagon

welcomewagon Member

I can't imagine any scenario where I would scratch my center screen. I think it's ridiculous and can only make the display look worse.

8. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

I love the matte protector, not for scratch protection, but no fingerprints or glare.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

We install Glareshield for all the S and X that come in. Nice matte finish helps with glare and fingerprints. If you're super OCD about cleaning your screen because of all the finger prints, this helps for sure.

Pm me if you'd like one, we can ship them.

10. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

I had the glareshield put on and it saved my screen when I did a sudden stop on the freeway and my thermos flew out of the cup holder smacking the screen. No damage to my screen. I would do it again in a heartbeat

• Like x 1