Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Protector Included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember after a M3 crash where the driver was cut slightly from a cracked monitor screen Elon tweeted that they would include a 'Screen protector' that would keep a cracked screen from cutting anyone. Has that been included? I have noticed 3rd party accessory companies selling M3 Screen Protectors for $12-$15. Is this a necessary purchase?

Really? I thought the answers would be yes and no. Many people have reported having a film on their screens. I can't really tell on mine so if it's there, it's really not noticeable and I don't plan on taking it off.
The film is a scratch protector that many screens come with— phones, tablets, monitors, etc. That’s not the protection from cracking on impact Elon was talking about. It’s meant to be peeled off before you use the car. Many people have found it causes glare if not removed (myself included).

I got one of the ones from Abstract Ocean. Fits great. They now offer a tempered glass screen protector. I would probably get that one now as it's easier to put on.

If you are going to get one of the other ones, use the hinge method with the hinge on top. It makes it a lot easier to get right the first time. Check youtube if you're not sure what this is.

BTW those people using the "factory cover": Most plastics with adhesive backing are not meant to be used with touchscreens. If you're experiencing phantom touches or other touchscreen issues, the first thing I'd try is removing that film.

Don't ask me how I know and how much time I've wasted at my day job on things like that.

• Funny
Reactions: Jimmy 1
BTW those people using the "factory cover": Most plastics with adhesive backing are not meant to be used with touchscreens. If you're experiencing phantom touches or other touchscreen issues, the first thing I'd try is removing that film.

Don't ask me how I know and how much time I've wasted at my day job on things like that.
We had the same issue, thought the screen was scratched....until we realized that there was plastic on it. lol, silly me.

The film is a scratch protector that many screens come with— phones, tablets, monitors, etc. That’s not the protection from cracking on impact Elon was talking about. It’s meant to be peeled off before you use the car. Many people have found it causes glare if not removed (myself included).

Usually it's pretty noticeable whether there's a film on the screen (i.e. peel tab, minor bubbling on the edges), but I really can't tell with my car. If I had it on me I'd check again but it's in the SC for a couple weeks. I'm leaning toward the tempered glass protector on abstract ocean just because I don't want to do a wet application with the other films.

Does the M3 have a sensitivity setting? My Galaxy S9+ does and it helped immensely when I put tempered glass on it.

No soft screen protector on mine @ delivery either.

I ended up buying a tempered glass one from Taptes for $9.99 shipped (was on sale, normally $14.99 which is still a good deal compared to competition). It shipped from China and took 3-4 weeks but it was worth it. The bottom edge is curved to match the screen so there is no gap in coverage.

It fit perfectly and I've had no issues with bubbling, adhesion or touch sensitivity. Can't speak to effect when wearing polarized glasses yet...

Taptes also carries some accessories not common with other vendors or Amazon. For example, the phone dock spacer is a great idea since it allows you to keep your phone case on while docking (and comes in 2 depths, 6 and 8mm to fit more phone case sizes). It also allows the stock gloss trim to snap on top to preserve the OEM look.

I'm not affiliated with Taptes in any way, just wanted to share since (besides shipping times) they are wallet-friendly and my own personal experience has been great so far.

Reactions: Dre78
None of them fit perfect, the Model 3 screen is not a perfect rectangle. You will have a small gap at the center bottom with all of them.

The Abstract Ocean one (and some cheaper knockoffs) actually fit just fine - as long as you follow the directions and install them the correct way around. There is a thread about this with pictures somewhere here. The only place where potentially one could complain about fit is that the curves on the corners are not PERFECT with the glass screen protectors.

No one has ever noticed mine. It's great. I got it when @kbecks13 posted that he had broken his screen by accidentally hitting it with his phone. I installed my protector about 0.5 to 1 mm lower than "intended" to ensure that bottom screen edge was protected.

Reactions: Dre78