Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen protector - Matte or Gloss ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am undecided between the choice of screen protector for Model Y

Factors important to me:
  1. Protection against fingerprint smudges.
  2. Protection from accidental hits from wife's handbag
  3. Undistorted video playback - Netflix, You Tube etc
  4. Glare reduction for daytime screen use
  5. Ease of cleaning
So should I go for matte finish ones or the glossy ones?

Which would be better - just a film or hard tempered glass style?

Please leave links to your favorite/trusted products, if possible.

We've had the Abstract Ocean matte screen protectors in our 2020 MYs from the moment we got home from the SC.

They are excellent and still look flawless 2 1/2 years later.

I’ve ordered a matte screen protector from Abstract Ocean (link in #2 above). Matte meets the criteria in the OP better than gloss. I would only go with tempered glass, only matte, based on years of experience with iPhones. They’re excellent!

I purchased one from abstract ocean when I got my MYP. It’s a glass, not film screen protector with anti glare (matte). Doesn’t mess with the clarity too terribly and seems to keep fingerprints to a minimum. I was torn between just getting the normal version non anti glare, but I’m happy I went with the current setup.

Ultra-Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protectors for 3 & Y
How's the video performance? Any distortion due to matte effect?

We've had the Abstract Ocean matte screen protectors in our 2020 MYs from the moment we got home from the SC.

They are excellent and still look flawless 2 1/2 years later.

How's the video performance Netflix, YouTube etc? Any distortion due to matte effect?

I purchased one from abstract ocean when I got my MYP. It’s a glass, not film screen protector with anti glare (matte). Doesn’t mess with the clarity too terribly and seems to keep fingerprints to a minimum. I was torn between just getting the normal version non anti glare, but I’m happy I went with the current setup.

Ultra-Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protectors for 3 & Y
Same protector. Over two years old. No issues with integrity or touch. Can be difficult to see screen in bright sunlight. Have to turn up brightness. Would buy again.

I agree on the Spigen. First I cheaped out and bought two amazon off brand ones and they were both junk. Broke down and bought the Spigen and I love it. It also comes with a fool-proof install mount, which is important to me as I am very particular with the screen protector going on perfectly.

The Spigen says matte, but I would say it's actually kind of in between gloss+matte. It's much less matte than the other two cheap ones I bought, which makes clarity much better.

Reactions: csrpenfab
I am undecided between the choice of screen protector for Model Y

Factors important to me:
  1. Protection against fingerprint smudges.
  2. Protection from accidental hits from wife's handbag
  3. Undistorted video playback - Netflix, You Tube etc
  4. Glare reduction for daytime screen use
  5. Ease of cleaning
So should I go for matte finish ones or the glossy ones?

Which would be better - just a film or hard tempered glass style?

Please leave links to your favorite/trusted products, if possible.
I have two cars, one matte and one glossy.
After nearly being blinded by the setting sun behind me the other day with the gloss screen, I'd say the matte is the preferable choice.