Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Protector... needed?

Do you use a screen protector?

• Nope, and I'm happy without it!

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Yes, Matt finish to reduce glare

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, Glossy finish to reduce fingerprints

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Nope, but I wish I did!

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is a screen protector needed for the touch-screen? I found some old threads from 2013 talking about glare, and some comments about matt protectors lowering resolution... but it's been a while since then, are the protectors better? is the screen better?

Thoughts?

The matte protectors are our top-selling version of the screen protectors, and my personal favorite, but yes, there's pro's and cons. They result in almost complete elimination of glare and finger prints, but at the expense of some clarity, as the protector has a paper-like texture, much like an ereader screen. The HD clear version is the next most popular option, they're virtually invisible once applied. As for if they're needed....personal choice; there's a few stories of screens getting scratched, in my case my sunglasses occasionally fall off a little hook I have near the rear view mirror when I do an insane launch, landing on the screen. There's a small nick in the protector as a result, I don't know if the bare screen would have experienced the same outcome.

Reactions: Big Virgil
As Pete suggests, matte (which is what I started with a few days after taking delivery) introduces a bit of clarity issues. I didn't initially notice it. Wearing bifocals, even with their fancy anti-reflective coatings, I eventually found especially at night, quick map reading a little challenging -- in-part because of Tesla's choices with road text coloration and the slightly different colored bubble around it. It was just too hard to see and read clearly. The Matte Protector was great almost eliminating fingerprints, or at least extending the time between necessary CID cleanings.

I decided to trade off a few more fingerprints for increased clarity using the HD Clear version, and I'm happy as a lark with my choice. I definitely have a little better clarity looking at the not-so-great contrast with Tesla's interface -- especially on Maps -- but better fingerprint obscurity than without the protector in place. Fingerprints are not eliminated, but IMHO are generally less visible than with just touching the native CID.

As to if either protector helps prevent physical damage, fortunately, IDK. ;)

Reactions: Big Virgil
I have had my car for 2 years now and just had the 17" screen replaced due to some weird dot on the screen. Over that time I noticed 3 scratches on the screen, so for that reason I would recommend getting one. Also with the screen protector your finger seems to slide better with the protector installed. I bought the HD clear one, overall if minor scratches annoy you on your phone, its going to be magnified on your Model S. Best of luck!

How tough is it to apply the protector on a car that's a year or more old (presumably with the screen intact)? Obviously, cleaning the screen thoroughly beforehand is vital, but just how much of an effort is this? I've applied screen protectors on iPhones and have had some frustrations with lint, dust, air, or other impurities getting underneath while I'm installing.

How tough is it to apply the protector on a car that's a year or more old (presumably with the screen intact)? Obviously, cleaning the screen thoroughly beforehand is vital, but just how much of an effort is this? I've applied screen protectors on iPhones and have had some frustrations with lint, dust, air, or other impurities getting underneath while I'm installing.
Not a problem. I removed one after a few months, cleaned the screen, and put on a new one. Trick is to turn off your fan, roll up the windows and do the work with the doors closed to try and prevent lint. Take a look at Abstract Oceans product page, and scroll down to see an online installation video.

Reactions: Majerus
I've found that an iPhone or iPad screen with scratches looks a lot better than an iPad or iPhone screen with a screen protector and without scratches. Most scratches are invisible when the screen is turned on, but the screen protector is always visible.

Cleaning the screen is a pia, even with the new one, there is tiny bits of dust everywhere. Once its cleaned be patient and it installs pretty easily, took awhile for me to work out the bubbles yesterday but overall maybe 20 minutes total invested time.

i put the matte on mine... easy to put on. i like the feel of the matte screen protector. i like there are no fingerprints.I like there is no glare. i don't mind the decreased screen resolution at all. can hardly tell. i put it on without telling my wife, and she did not notice at all.