Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen protector nonsense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isn't even needed any longer. The AO protector I got had a plastic frame that you snap around the MFD bezel, and the protector drops into that, perfectly aligned. Neither muss nor fuss. Then you pop off said plastic frame, and you're done and done.

I thought that frame served a purpose but I followed the hinge method from their video. Whoops.

I am trying to figure out why I would need a screen protector after owning the car for 2 weeks. So many say it's the first thing to get. But I don't find the screen hard to keep clean, nor do I see any issue with glare. And I am not likely to drop the screen on the ground.

The matte screen protectors take away the vibrance of the high quality screen, so I definitely wouldn't get one of those.
Me as well. Mine doesn't getting nasty but I also don't eat greasy fried chicken in the car. I have found that wiping the fingerprints off with a standard yellow microfiber cloth does not activate any touch-sensitivity. Basically, I don't need to use screen clean mode when wiping it down.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Ughhhhh I have AO clear now but the glare and fingerprints even on the AO is driving me nuts. Now trying to find who makes the best matte protecto

I have the AO Matte screen protector on right now, but I'm going to remove it. It really does cut down on the image quality...

So, about that. I have the AO Matte and am quite happy with it. No image quality issues whatsoever to my eyes.

AO is worth the price. I bought the Model 3 clear glass one from AO. And it was a fantastic fit. Then I tried 3 Amazon ones for my Model X and they were not as good a fit as I wanted. Contacted AO explained I was not happy with Amazon size and they went and measure theirs for me. It was a better size. All these screen protectors are NOT the same. I cracked the the AO one installing it. First failure of any screen protector on anything. AO didn’t blink an eye sending me a new one. I managed to get it on but ended up with a bubble ( first one had no bubble). I was still happy with it. I gave AO an update that the second install was a success. I mentioned the bubble and they asked if I wanted another screen protector to make it perfect !!

Unbelievable service. I feel guilty even buying the first Amazon ones for Model X after being very happy with AO one on the Model 3. They made me a customer for life.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
So, about that. I have the AO Matte and am quite happy with it. No image quality issues whatsoever to my eyes.

Glad to hear you are happy with yours. Probably the result of my surgically repaired eye. I spoke to AO about it and they said seating position and angle can affect it and they told me to switch to the HD clear for maximum clarity. Told them I removed the HD clear to install the matte. I think the biggest artifact I'm seeing is the rainbow effect from my Maui Jim and Oakley polarized sunglasses. This wasn't an issue before installing the screen protector and doesn't affect everyone the same. For example, my wife has no issue with it. For the rainbow effect, it does decrease or increase based on my seating position and how the sun is hitting the display.

I think the biggest artifact I'm seeing is the rainbow effect from my Maui Jim and Oakley polarized sunglasses. This wasn't an issue before installing the screen protector and doesn't affect everyone the same. For example, my wife has no issue with it. For the rainbow effect, it does decrease or increase based on my seating position and how the sun is hitting the display.
That's interesting, because I also have polarized sunglasses, and artifacting or blocking the screen was my man concern about getting a protector, but I have had no issues like that whatsoever. I might have just gotten a lucky batch, I suppose.