Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen protector nonsense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following the advice of some on this forum, i bought an inexpensive screen protector on ebay as I was waiting for the M3 delivery and EOY craze to play out. It came within a week, in a nice but generic white box, well-packaged, with several screen wipes/cleaners. I set it aside as I didn't have my M3 yet.... pulled it out today to install...

I've been installing screen protectors on phones and tablets for 20 years and am familiar with the SOP. This one was supposed to be tempered glass, and those typically come with two protective sheets, one on each side: "front" and "back".

However I noticed this particular protector only had one label/tab "back" -- weird I thought... After wiping down the screen, in which I discovered the thoughtful feature of "screen cleaning mode", I began to peel back the "back" sheet and apply the protector... WTF!

There was no adhesive/tackiness to the protector, so it wasn't sticking to the M3's screen!!! WTF! After peeling back about 30% of the "back" protective sheeting and finding no tacky surface, I put the whole thing away and was prepared to write a nasty demand for a refund using ebay's buyer protection mechanism...

Then I paused... I wonder if... pulled out an Xacto knife... those f@ckers... they had mistakenly applied BOTH protective (front and back) sheets to the same side! so peeling back a 2nd hidden protective sheeting revealed the tacky surface underneath...

So now its installed and is pretty nice. I'm not sure it is 100% needed but I'll be thankful for it the next time someone's metal backpack parts or briefcase latches slam or scratch up against the screen... If you run into the same issue of a seemingly defective screen protector, try seeing if it also has mis-applied protective sheets.

Reactions: Perscitus
I am trying to figure out why I would need a screen protector after owning the car for 2 weeks. So many say it's the first thing to get. But I don't find the screen hard to keep clean, nor do I see any issue with glare. And I am not likely to drop the screen on the ground.

The matte screen protectors take away the vibrance of the high quality screen, so I definitely wouldn't get one of those.

I previously had on AOs clear screen protector and now have on their matte screen protector. There are definitely pluses and minuses to both and they are not for everyone. However, I am getting a rainbow artifact when viewing the screen with my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses. Adjusting the angle and distances of the seat helps to minimize it, but it's still there. I'm also getting the same artifact with my Oakley Prizm Polarized sunglasses.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive
That's interesting, Jkoya. I also have the AO Matte protector, and wear polarized sunglasses most of the time I drive. I have had no rainbows, artifacting, or diminished visibility whatsoever. I definitely do have issues with my phone's screen depending on the angle at which I'm holding it, so the polarization on my lenses is definitely a Thing.

Yeah the rainbow effect is due to the polarized sunglasses. Something you have to weigh I suppose. But really who doesn't drive with polarized sunglasses these days? I'd rather have the polarized UVA/UVB sunglasses than a screen protector that interfers with seeing the center screen.

I am trying to figure out why I would need a screen protector after owning the car for 2 weeks. So many say it's the first thing to get. But I don't find the screen hard to keep clean, nor do I see any issue with glare. And I am not likely to drop the screen on the ground.

The matte screen protectors take away the vibrance of the high quality screen, so I definitely wouldn't get one of those.

As OP mentioned easy enough I guess for your passenger to hit the screen with something he/she is carrying as they get out and crack it. Also early on in Model 3 release someone mentioned that they got in an accident and their passenger hit the screen I think with their arm (since their arm got cut) with enough force to crack the screen. Not so different I guess from ways you can crack your cell phone screen although yes, you couldn't drop it on the ground ;)

It was $10 and aside for the initial "nonsense", it's now fine -- I don't notice it at all, as it should be -- totally transparent. I'm mostly worried that something could strike the screen and scratch or crack it. In my BMW for example someone entered with a backpack and the metal strap fittings hit the brushed aluminum trim and made a noticeable scratch not easily removed. For $10 I think it's worth the protection just like on my phone.

If it was just me in the car at all times, screen protector wouldn't be needed, but my wife's rings sometimes get awfully close to that screen and I'd rather just be safe.

As OP mentioned easy enough I guess for your passenger to hit the screen with something he/she is carrying as they get out and crack it. Also early on in Model 3 release someone mentioned that they got in an accident and their passenger hit the screen I think with their arm (since their arm got cut) with enough force to crack the screen. Not so different I guess from ways you can crack your cell phone screen although yes, you couldn't drop it on the ground ;)
I make my passengers sit on their hands.

I don't see the need for a screen protector. Yes, a couple of people cracked their screens. That's how it goes. But to base screen protector necessity on these freak occurrences is bonkers. Also, have you ever rested your hand on the screen? It runs really warm, even in the dead of winter. Putting a piece of heat-trapping glass over your screen - especially in the hot summer, is asking for trouble if you ask me. But to each his/her own.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Mine came with a low budget “screen protector” that I’ve never removed

I left that factory 'protector' on, too. the telltale for many of us is the circle-of-shame in the upper right hand corner ;)

there are at least 10 model 3's at work and at least half have the factory protector still on. until I find a better way, I'm leaving it on, too, circle of shame or not.

you know, tesla COULD design a proper protector and design it in so that blanks could slide in on some grooves and when you wear out or break one, you slide it out and slide another in. if the factory designed it that way from the start, we'd all be in much better shape.

aftermarket solutions are all hacks, lets be honest. they usually depend on the installer's skills, and I don't like that, as its too much of a variable.

a slide-in or snap-on solution is needed. come on, tesla, take the lead. I don't know of any vendor who has ever done this (anyone?). good chance for tesla to be a pioneer in yet another area.

(just wishing, aloud)

i have the abstract ocean tempered glass one, and i really like it. it's nice to have some peace of mind...and i'm amazed that even i was able to put it on without botching it. as long as you take your time, line it up right when taping it to the top of the screen, and make sure there is no dust under it when you drop it down, it's really not that bad...

their new one has a guide to help installing, but to be honest i think the hinge method is the better way to go. their template requires you to start at the bottom, which could allow dust to get in under it. if you hinge it from the top, when you drop it down that should hopefully prevent any additional dust from getting under (provided of course you take your time and make sure there's not already any under there).

Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3

That's interesting, Jkoya. I also have the AO Matte protector, and wear polarized sunglasses most of the time I drive. I have had no rainbows, artifacting, or diminished visibility whatsoever. I definitely do have issues with my phone's screen depending on the angle at which I'm holding it, so the polarization on my lenses is definitely a Thing.

I notice the rainbow effect more with my Maui Jims as opposed to my Oakleys, but it's still there. What brand of polarized sunglasses do you use ? I'm willing to switch if it eliminates the rainbow ...