TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

screen protector?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Aug 22, 2018.

?

Screen Protector (Yes/No/Would Consider)

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Would Consider?

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Anybody here put one on their car? Just kinda curious. If you do, let me know which one you used. Thanks!

2. Exiom

Exiom Member

I suppose this is a matter of personal preference... and there are different types (material) of screen protectors out there

When I bought my car... I got myself a 9H Glass Protector... and I found that the screen protector nullified the anti-glare/reflective coating that is on the glass of the screen... which in turn made it very reflective under most situation to the point where I can't actually see the contents on screen... so I took it off

I think under most use... it's not easy to scratch the screen because it's not like your phone... it doesn't really come into contact with anything but your fingers... so I suppose other than ladies with hard objects glued onto their nails... it should be fine... at least that's what i figured

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Why not wearing "Touchscreen/texting/smartphone" gloves instead?

4. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

I have a matte screen protection and I like it. Less reflections and my finger slides easier on it.

5. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

After three years of ownership I never found a need for one.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

If the only object touching the screen is your finger tip, a screen protector shouldn't be needed.

Never put on a screen protector on our first Model S (delivered January 2013) and haven't put one on our later 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D purchases...

7. RV8R

RV8R Member

I bought one for my MS due next month. I figure the investment may save an accident at some point, and know the screen is not a warranty item if scratched. I plan to keep the car a long time and don't want to take even the small risk, verses about $20. If the glare is an issue, it won't be the first time I wasted $20.

8. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Yup, Abstract Ocean's HD Clear Screen Protectors (Twin pack) for Tesla Model S and Model X.

I already have a scratch on it. If I didn't have the protector, the scratch would be on the screen.

9. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I am paranoid, so I put one on. I hate finger prints on my devices so I am constantly cleaning the screen (Max of once a week). what if the cloth I use to clean it has a little pebble? scratching the protector would no matter as much as scratching the screen itself.
    I am just paranoid and obsessive yes I know

10. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

I put one on my first Model S and my Model 3. I have one for my new Model S but I haven't installed it yet. When I put it on the 3, it was an uphill battle trying to get all the dust away out of the way. :p

11. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

I apply protectors to all devices I own/use that have screens that will be intentionally touched. I tend to buy equipment at the high end, but then hold on to it for a very long time, exercising careful stewardship over it; I intend my Model S to be the last car I own. Do you ever let children into your car? Passengers who wear jewelry? Ever let someone else drive it? Do you clean your screen to remove oil and fingerprints? There are lots of sources of potential damage to the screen. I installed the matte version of the Abstract Ocean "HD 5H Anti-Scratch and Anti-Shock Screen Protector," and have been very happy with it. Well worth the small investment, and easily replaced if something ugly happens.

12. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Thank you for all the suggestions and feedback.

13. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Do you guys find the matte finish reduces the screen clarity?

Also, is the 5H one not tempered glass? Was considering the 9H one from Abstract Ocean