Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my model 3. So I am new. Sorry for this repeat question. I'm sure new Tesla owner ask this before. Should i get a screen protector? If so, which one? I worry about the finger prints, the reflection/glare. Or maybe I should not worry about these issues? thanks

Welcome to TMC.

A lot of people decide to put on screen protectors. I am not one of them. I originally got caught up in the hype around that (and excited about my car with its fancy touchscreen) and bought a really nice matte screen protector, with the idea around "protecting the screen" and cutting down glare.

After unsuccessfully attempting to install it (ended up with a bubble I couldnt get out) I removed it, and decided against trying again. This was in 2018 when I got my car. I have no issues with my screen, I just keep a screen cleaning cloth in my glove compartment and wipe it down every now and then.

No scratches on it, etc.

For full disclosure, I am also a person who does NOT put screen protectors on any phones, or tablets. I have had several ipads, and iPhones, and never had a real issue with needing a screen protector on the screen to keep them from getting scratched etc. I keep my phone in my pocket when I am at work, too (but not the same pocket with my keys).

TL ; DR -- Personal decision but this is not "necessary" to do, unless you want to, or are hard on other digital screens in your life like phones / tablets.

Last edited:
Screen protector is personal choice. Also depends on your situation/use of the car- if you have dogs in the car, kids, people that wear obnoxious rings, bracelets, charm bracelets, etc. that tend to smack the screen when they play with it. The screens are really tough as is, but people have broken and scratched it. The most common cause of chipping the screen is from tossing a backpack/bag/purse to the passenger seat and some hard piece on the straps or from said item nicks the screen. One bad case I read was a kid jumping into the car from the drivers side and swung his feet over to the passenger side while wearing some sort of sport shoes (soccer cleats?) and basically swiped the screen with nice trail marks.

In any case, it's about a $1200 to replace the screen vs a $20 screen protector. I didn't put one on at first, but after a few stupid close calls, I bought one. I went with a pricier version from Evannex only because it's the only review I found at the time that doesn't give you a rainbow affect when wearing sunglasses. Spiggen(sp?) is the popular brand, cheaper, and has a foolproof template to install it. Watch youtube installer vids to get an idea. I also went with clear vs the matte since I prefer to retain the sharpness in the display (I have 20% tint all around except front, so glare isn't an issue).

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I prefer one and selected anti-glare. I can see the screen a little easier and it doesn’t really show the prints.

I use Spigen and it is impossible to mount it wrong. It costs more but perfect fit and no bubbles if you follow their instructions.

I live in a sunny place and have never noticed any glare (unlike my previous cars). I've also never cleaned my screen nor noticed any fingerprints - it's always on when I'm in the car so I can't see any marks.

I can't imagine a scenario in which the screen would get scratched but if there were such conditions I'd be more worried about the dashboard getting scratched than the screen. But that said, the matte protectors do feel much nicer than the raw sticky glossy screen.

I prefer one and selected anti-glare. I can see the screen a little easier and it doesn’t really show the prints.

I use Spigen and it is impossible to mount it wrong. It costs more but perfect fit and no bubbles if you follow their instructions.

I bought this too, but haven't gotten around to installing it (still have the factory plastic on it). Also bought that version because of the template which I saw on a video. I'm no stranger to screen protector installation on my phones, but given the size of the screen, decided it was probably worth the extra cost.

+1 on the Spigen Anti-Glare/Matte Screen Protector. It's awesome, easy to install and looks amazing!

I have the same and super easy to install. I had both clear and anti-glare. Each one has their pros and cons. I would highly suggest it in terms of protection and easy to clean fingerprints.

You are cleaning the screen cover instead of the monitor. so you won't have to worry about harming any of the display

I got the clear screen protector from abstract ocean... make sure whichever one you get has the "idiot-proof" installation frame. can't even tell its there after install. I installed a screen protector because I'm clumsy and not very graceful. I'm afraid I might bang my phone and hit the edge of the tesla screen when trying to put it in the charging dock. also since i have 3 little boys, i feel more confident knowing there is a little added protection on the screen.

If you decide to install one (I did, my wife moves her purse from her to the passenger seat and I'm afraid she'll scratch the screen one day), that's the one I bought. Almost impossible to install it wrong and get bubbles trapped within.

Just got my model 3. So I am new. Sorry for this repeat question. I'm sure new Tesla owner ask this before. Should i get a screen protector? If so, which one? I worry about the finger prints, the reflection/glare. Or maybe I should not worry about these issues? thanks
If you want less figerprints and glare, get the matte screen protectors. I mean they don't hurt the car and they are cheap, why not.

I realize there’s tons of opinions on this. But what do people think about screen protectors? Have people had easy scratches on their screeen? Cracks? I don’t mind fingerprints, but if the screen is durable I hear the screen looks bet