TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Screen rebooted during drive home....common?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Quibbs, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

First week of ownership. Love the car.

The only issues I have is a poorly sealed small window on drivers side and the rear seat belt issue.

I am hoping that tonight's episode isn't the beginning of something more.....

Talk about coincidence .....

As I was on my way home from work tonight I was speaking to my wife over speaker discussing the issues people were having with the car (zombie car, cracked windshields, etc) and was saying how I hoped I would avoid those issues, when all of a sudden......my main display goes completely black except for the backup camera screen. I had two screens up and everything just disappeared including the frame graphic around the camera picture display. The phone continued to work and the backup camera was still streaming the picture. But there was a X shaped cursor on the screen and eventually I could not hear my wife but she said she could hear me talking. Next, the entire screen went black and the Tesla "T" appeared in the center of the screen. The system must have rebooted. Finally everything came back on and was working. Even during the black out, the car drove fine, and the displays around the speedo still worked.

Not that this is to blame, but tonight also just happen to be the first rain storm I drove the car through and the first time I have used the windshield wipers.

Perhaps there was a slight hiccup and the system just rebooted itself. I'm hoping that is all it is.

Anyone else have this experience?

I'm not THAT worried. It is new technology and the car is in it's infancy. I understood when I bought this car I was an early adopter and this type of thing may creep up. I'm just hoping this isn't a symptom of a bigger issue.

2. rlpm

rlpm S P85 | Sig X _P90D_

Your S heard you talking to your wife about issues, and tried to curb it.
    I, for one, welcome our new sentient robot automobile overlords!

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Not a common occurrence. Recommend to call your local SC just to let them know.

4. William3

William3 Member

Really? My screen reboots while driving about every 500 miles or so (on average). I'm on firmware version 4.2

5. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Not normal. I'd call service. It's a car not a windows PC... spontaneous reboots, no matter how infrequent, are not something that should be happening.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm on 8,500 miles and the screen has never rebooted itself. (I did it twice in that time at the request of Tesla Service)

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I've had a few reboots on the main screen but that was all pre 4.2 software.

8. Elshout

Elshout Member

Happened to me twice with software version 4.1 All else was fully functional just no big screen. As soon as 4.2 uploaded the problem never reoccurred. Which software version do you have?

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I had it happen once. No big deal, everything normal after about 20 seconds.

10. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Kent, that you?

11. rlpm

rlpm S P85 | Sig X _P90D_

#11 rlpm, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Why yes, yes it is.

12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I had a reboot yesterday (I'm on 4.2, 1.19.49). HOWEVER, it wasn't completely random. I was in a weak 3G coverage area, and was trying repeatedly to request a certain song using voice recognition. After the first request, the search failed (no signal). I tried again, and it failed again (I was clearly going between almost no coverage and no coverage at all). After the third attempt, the screen went blank, showed the "X" cursor, then a reboot to the Tesla T. A bug...but not a random reboot.

I figure what I was doing was pretty odd--caused a crash, and the system rebooted. The reboot was really fast, though. It was back up in less than 10 seconds.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think I've had 1 surprise screen reboot in 4 months of ownership.