Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Replacement and MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RCFLMA

Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2017
New England
I recently noticed a yellow band across the top of my 17" screen (Feb17 MS90D). About 1/4" wide. I never noticed it until I had a whith background on the top half of the screen.

Looking through the Forum, I see that this has been reported and that individuals have been able to get the screen replaced under warranty. I contacted Tesla and they'll fix it at some convenient time. All's good.

This brings up what might be a silly question - if the screen gets replaced, does the MCU get replaced too?

I recently noticed a yellow band across the top of my 17" screen (Feb17 MS90D). About 1/4" wide. I never noticed it until I had a whith background on the top half of the screen.

Looking through the Forum, I see that this has been reported and that individuals have been able to get the screen replaced under warranty. I contacted Tesla and they'll fix it at some convenient time. All's good.

This brings up what might be a silly question - if the screen gets replaced, does the MCU get replaced too?
They told me they were going to replace just the screen, but the service notes say they replaced the MCU.

Just had mine replaced last week for the yellow border. They said they would do screen only but ended up replacing the MCU also (same old version though). Said they noticed something wrong with the MCU, so probably not something they do every time.

The real kicker was that all my customization was lost. I had to reprogram driver profiles, Homelink, favorite stations, all the controls and settings.

Just had mine replaced last week for the yellow border. They said they would do screen only but ended up replacing the MCU also (same old version though). Said they noticed something wrong with the MCU, so probably not something they do every time.

The real kicker was that all my customization was lost. I had to reprogram driver profiles, Homelink, favorite stations, all the controls and settings.

Oh, that sucks. im still trying to build it up. once you restored the music channels does it remember you? isn't it backed up. they touted that to me so I could move car to car and have the lists follow?

Oh, that sucks. im still trying to build it up. once you restored the music channels does it remember you? isn't it backed up. they touted that to me so I could move car to car and have the lists follow?

They haven't implemented the car-to-car thing yet. That would be great. I had to re-enter everything. And for some reason I had to re-enter a few of the settings again today. Hopefully it is stable now.

• Disagree
Reactions: UkrHog