Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen resets when reading user manual or using the browser.

Btreth

Jan 31, 2021
MARYLAND
When ever I try to access my on screen users manual or access the browser my screen resets. The screen freezes, the fan goes to high speed, and after about 10 seconds the screen goes black, 30 seconds later the Tesla T logo appears and the screen reappears. This also somtimes happens when I am searching podcasts. I have also gotten random resets when driving. The driving controls appear to work, like shifting but the scroll are dead.
Are others having this problem? I am planing to open a service request next week.

Reactions: mcsenerd

bruce4000

Jul 8, 2019
Seattle
I have had this happen and there are other threads also talking about this. Not good for new owners. I just started using my phone or watching you tube videos on the car for the info I’m after.

cancoi

#teamblue
Jun 7, 2021
OH
I've had this happen 3-4 times since 6/12. :mad:

The service tech could not replicate, but said if it happens again, give voice command "report bug" (press right steering wheel control) and then place a service request with details of what you were doing/looking at for this. This will allow them to capture the information your SC will see that report and review the bug issues. They can push to Tesla with issues.

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Try not using the web browser, netflix, youtube and games for a while and see if you still have crashes. Most crashes I've seen were during or soon after using those features. Since the user manual seems to crash for a few people, try not using that too :) There's a PDF version you can find online.

cancoi

#teamblue
Jun 7, 2021
OH
Not doing any of that and crashing. Just sitting in my car with it off. Only thing is that I was listening to music over Bluetooth. Sent bug report.

Btreth

Jan 31, 2021
MARYLAND
Just don't use the features isn't an answer. I tried to send a bug report, problem is after the reset, the bug is gone. You can't send a bug report during the reset.

Reactions: cancoi

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Bug reports stay in your car. They are useful for techs that service your car, as a pointer to when a problem happened.
I'm just trying to help you prevent crashes. You do what you want. I use those services too but I'm mindful that they might crash my system

Reactions: AlexHung and cancoi

cancoi

#teamblue
Jun 7, 2021
OH
Message from my SC regarding this issue: “Hello, your vehicle was remotely look at, you can view the invoice right in your app under service, for ease, this is what the tech found: Reviewed vehicle logs and infotainment logs from July 6th 11:00AM - 11:30 AM. Verified the owner's manual popup window caused the main vehicle process in the car computer to crash. This is a known firmware bug and will be addressed in a future firmware update.” Hopefully addressed soon.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311

dspan-mylr

Jun 3, 2021
Tijeras, New Mexico
I also placed a service request on this bug. I was informed by the service tech that this is a known bug and will be resolved in a future release. So, at least Tesla is aware of it. Also, other issues that may be related - things that require high speed internet. In my case the browser app has stopped loading.
Just be aware that this crash can occur while you are driving (for instance, if your passenger looks at the manual). It may cause a little panic but just stay calm. Reports by others indicate the car driving functions still work.

Reactions: jsmay311

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC