Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen restarted while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I was driving home today, when my screen restarted on its own. I was on adaptive cruise control, music was on and navigation was running. I have the latest software installed. Its a dual motor.

Has this happened to anyone before? I had restarted the screen almost a week back, because it had started flickering really badly.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hello,
I was driving home today, when my screen restarted on its own. I was on adaptive cruise control, music was on and navigation was running. I have the latest software installed. Its a dual motor.

Has this happened to anyone before? I had restarted the screen almost a week back, because it had started flickering really badly.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Mine did the same thing about 30 minutes ago. It went black and then restarted on its own after about 2 seconds. I think I may have lost some miles on my battery too. Any others experience this too?

The screen is on it's own process and hardware called an MCU (Media Control Unit I believe). This is more akin to Windows or something where every once in a while things will crash and it needs to reboot. Unless it happens a lot a few times is no big deal. The Drivetrain and even Autopilot are more akin to PLCs that run hard logic and almost never fail unless there is hardware failure. So the car will run just fine without the screen. It's happened a few times while I was on autopilot. It just keeps driving and even still gives rudimentary beeps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78