Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen shuts off after Fridays update? [issue caused by non standard characters in contacts]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the issue is still there, you simply removed the emoji?
Or was a software change made to avoid the issue?

I was following this thread, and my understanding is that the issue was fixed by the OP removing the emoji from his wifes contact. Service Center reset software but issue returned on his first text to / from his wife, then he noticed emoji, removed it, then problem is gone.

=================

(moderator note: edited thread title to reflect resolution was not related to software update)

I had this issue too this morning. Definitely happed right after I updated to the latest software, 2020.48.12.

Prior to the software updates, I had some emojis in a Spotify playlist. Car would function correctly, wouldn't display any of the emojis. MCU screen never turned off or restarted the way it did with he new software update.

This morning I tried to pull my car out and the MCU continuously restarted. Once I removed the emojis from a Spotify playlist, the car functioned normally.

The issue is definitely because of the latest software update interacting with special characters. Pretty serious issue.

Reactions: drdumont
I had this issue too this morning. Definitely happed right after I updated to the latest software, 2020.48.12.

Prior to the software updates, I had some emojis in a Spotify playlist. Car would function correctly, wouldn't display any of the emojis. MCU screen never turned off or restarted the way it did with he new software update.

This morning I tried to pull my car out and the MCU continuously restarted. Once I removed the emojis from a Spotify playlist, the car functioned normally.

The issue is definitely because of the latest software update interacting with special characters. Pretty serious issue.

The "no special characters" thing with tesla has existed quite a bit longer than "this last update". I am not saying you didnt experience what you experienced, I am just saying that pretty much since I have owned my model 3 (dec 2018) there were issues using special characters in lists like contact lists on your phone when synced to the car.

I removed them a long time ago, so never tested any "in between" updates, but this isnt new. It might be new for spotify, because they seem to have re written the spotify integration but its not new in general.

its a best practice not to have special characters anyway, because plenty of IT systems dont like them.

The "no special characters" thing with tesla has existed quite a bit longer than "this last update". I am not saying you didnt experience what you experienced, I am just saying that pretty much since I have owned my model 3 (dec 2018) there were issues using special characters in lists like contact lists on your phone when synced to the car.

I removed them a long time ago, so never tested any "in between" updates, but this isnt new. It might be new for spotify, because they seem to have re written the spotify integration but its not new in general.

its a best practice not to have special characters anyway, because plenty of IT systems dont like them.

Did you have the same phenotype in the early days where the MCU wouldn't be usable / would continue to reset?

The fact that it is new for Spotify means that it is a "new" bug? A new set of users might be affected because of new Spotify integration. I'm sure it can affect other Spotify users as presumably the software is loading the recent playlists (which may have special characters). It seems like a pretty critical bug too since driving information could disappear while driving.

I'll make sure to tell all my contacts to not use emojis when they text me in the car!