Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen stayed black after 12V battery failed - $1300 replacement? [for the screen]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 AWD and the original 12v battery finally failed on a hot summer day sitting outside. Tesla Mobile service just came and replaced it, rebooted computer, calibrated windows, everything working just fine but the screen is completely black! Not dim, it appears out. Tesla rep was very courteous, says he not seen this before, but the replacement will be $1300! Is it just bad luck, total coincidence, or ??? The car operates and drives perfectly, it's just the screen. Any options or thoughts here before I have to pay the $1300?

If your car is no longer under warranty (which is the assumption I am making, because they are charging you), not sure what other option you have. The 12v is in the frunk area, the screen / computer is in the cabin. Even if a failing 12v impacted the screen (of which I have no idea), if you are not under warranty any longer, that wouldnt matter.

The mobile tech wouldnt have touched anything related to the screen when replacing the 12v so if you are thinking the mobile tech did something you can accuse tesla of, thats unlikely.

If your car is no longer under warranty (which is the assumption I am making, because they are charging you), not sure what other option you have. The 12v is in the frunk area, the screen / computer is in the cabin. Even if a failing 12v impacted the screen (of which I have no idea), if you are not under warranty any longer, that wouldnt matter.

The mobile tech wouldnt have touched anything related to the screen when replacing the 12v so if you are thinking the mobile tech did something you can accuse tesla of, thats unlikely.
No, wasn't looking to pass on blame, looking for ideas as to what may have happened. One moment car is fine, the next it opened the door and then all went completely dead. Tech arrives, the car log shows 12v low warnings, he replaces the battery and all is perfect again - except for the screen. It's a $1300 replacement and seems related in some way so I thought I'd ask here what peoples thoughts are as to what could have happened.

No, wasn't looking to pass on blame, looking for ideas as to what may have happened. One moment car is fine, the next it opened the door and then all went completely dead. Tech arrives, the car log shows 12v low warnings, he replaces the battery and all is perfect again - except for the screen. It's a $1300 replacement and seems related in some way so I thought I'd ask here what peoples thoughts are as to what could have happened.
Have you tried doing a hard reset of the computer by holding the two scroll wheels down?

Reactions: JasonR67