Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Unresponsive Upon Waking Up

andrewsjra

Dec 30, 2018
San Jose
Does anyone have the issue where the screen is not responsive to touch for about a minute after the car wakes up? I sometimes will get in the car and cannot do anything on my screen like close my garage door or adjust the temperature until a minute or so. I noticed this has happened more often with the recent firmware updates. I don’t recall this happening much in the past. Anyone else have this issue?

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
I haven't seen a minute but I see a few seconds, maybe 10-15? I haven't counted. Happens after the car has been sleeping for a while, as it wakes up and boots the various systems. I sometimes get a message asking me to wait as it boots...

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
A few days ago, my wife brought our Model 3 home and said that the touch screen was completely unresponsive, and had been for her last two drives.

I went out to the car, and sure enough, the screen would not recognize touches at all.

I did the double scroll wheel reset, and the problem went away. And just because I have a bit of OCD, I also used the "Shutdown" menu command to re-boot the car again. The problem hasn't occurred since.

Prior to this, we both had noticed that sometimes it would take up to a minute after waking the car up before the screen became responsive to touch. This had been happening since the latest firmware update.

Reactions: GtiMart

andrewsjra

Dec 30, 2018
San Jose
A few days ago, my wife brought our Model 3 home and said that the touch screen was completely unresponsive, and had been for her last two drives.

I went out to the car, and sure enough, the screen would not recognize touches at all.

I did the double scroll wheel reset, and the problem went away. And just because I have a bit of OCD, I also used the "Shutdown" menu command to re-boot the car again. The problem hasn't occurred since.

Prior to this, we both had noticed that sometimes it would take up to a minute after waking the car up before the screen became responsive to touch. This had been happening since the latest firmware update.

@Phlier: How do you do the “Shutdown” menu command? I’ve only down the double click wheel reboot and the issue comes back within a day.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
@Phlier: How do you do the “Shutdown” menu command? I’ve only down the double click wheel reboot and the issue comes back within a day.
It's an option in one of the car's menus. I *think* it's under the "Safety and Security" section, but I'd need to run out to the car to check for sure.

jrweiss98020

Tessa's Tesla
Jan 9, 2020
Edmonds, WA
Manual p. 52:
Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.
1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off .
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
That's right.. it's labeled "Power Off" not "shutdown" as I had stated. Need coffee... At least I had the menu section correct!

andrewsjra

Dec 30, 2018
San Jose
So far so good the past few days. I know what to do in the future if it comes back. Probably good to do a full power down every once in a while. It is a computer on wheels after all

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So far so good the past few days. I know what to do in the future if it comes back. Probably good to do a full power down every once in a while. It is a computer on wheels after all

I use the "power off" command after every firmware update completes. I only do them at home (firmware updates), and when I see its completed the update process, I do the following:

1. Go out to the car, open the drivers door and get into the seat. I do NOT close the drivers door behind me.
2. With me sitting in the drivers seat, but with the drivers side door open, I access the "power off" command as discussed above.
3. after pushing the button to power off the car, I exit the car through the still open drivers door and close it.

This lets me shut down the car until "the next time I go to drive it" and ensures that I am doing not only a full shut down but a full "shut down and car goes to deep sleep", at a minimum of every firmware update. Doing it this way, I have not experienced any strange glitches etc after firmware updates that people sometimes report.

In effect, I am doing a "full shutdown / power off" every firmware update, and then not powering on till my next drive, whenever that is.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC