Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Unresponsive Upon Waking Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the issue where the screen is not responsive to touch for about a minute after the car wakes up? I sometimes will get in the car and cannot do anything on my screen like close my garage door or adjust the temperature until a minute or so. I noticed this has happened more often with the recent firmware updates. I don’t recall this happening much in the past. Anyone else have this issue?

A few days ago, my wife brought our Model 3 home and said that the touch screen was completely unresponsive, and had been for her last two drives.

I went out to the car, and sure enough, the screen would not recognize touches at all.

I did the double scroll wheel reset, and the problem went away. And just because I have a bit of OCD, I also used the "Shutdown" menu command to re-boot the car again. The problem hasn't occurred since.

Prior to this, we both had noticed that sometimes it would take up to a minute after waking the car up before the screen became responsive to touch. This had been happening since the latest firmware update.

Reactions: GtiMart
A few days ago, my wife brought our Model 3 home and said that the touch screen was completely unresponsive, and had been for her last two drives.

I went out to the car, and sure enough, the screen would not recognize touches at all.

I did the double scroll wheel reset, and the problem went away. And just because I have a bit of OCD, I also used the "Shutdown" menu command to re-boot the car again. The problem hasn't occurred since.

Prior to this, we both had noticed that sometimes it would take up to a minute after waking the car up before the screen became responsive to touch. This had been happening since the latest firmware update.

@Phlier: How do you do the “Shutdown” menu command? I’ve only down the double click wheel reboot and the issue comes back within a day.

Manual p. 52:
Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.
1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off .
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
So far so good the past few days. I know what to do in the future if it comes back. Probably good to do a full power down every once in a while. It is a computer on wheels after all

I use the "power off" command after every firmware update completes. I only do them at home (firmware updates), and when I see its completed the update process, I do the following:

1. Go out to the car, open the drivers door and get into the seat. I do NOT close the drivers door behind me.
2. With me sitting in the drivers seat, but with the drivers side door open, I access the "power off" command as discussed above.
3. after pushing the button to power off the car, I exit the car through the still open drivers door and close it.

This lets me shut down the car until "the next time I go to drive it" and ensures that I am doing not only a full shut down but a full "shut down and car goes to deep sleep", at a minimum of every firmware update. Doing it this way, I have not experienced any strange glitches etc after firmware updates that people sometimes report.

In effect, I am doing a "full shutdown / power off" every firmware update, and then not powering on till my next drive, whenever that is.

In the past several weeks, I've had an unresponsive screen issue twice. The screen will display things just fine, but it doesn't respond to touch at all. I can still use the app on my phone to activate features like Homelink, etc. so the issue seems to be isolated to just the touchscreen functionality. Both times I "fixed" it via the steering wheel buttons/brake reset method. I also recently had my dashcam/Sentry SSD require a reformat, which I seem to recall reading is an issue with recent firmwares. I'm on 2022.12.3.2, which the Stats app says is about 60% of the Model 3 population right now. Hopefully it's just a bad firmware revision and future versions fix the issue. It's pretty annoying to realize while driving that you can't control anything on the car that requires the touch screen to work.

The screen will display things just fine, but it doesn't respond to touch at all.
I have had the exact issue you describe once (also with firmware 2022.12.3.2); got into the car to drive after it had been sleeping overnight and everything looked normal and the whole car was working _except_ the touch screen completely didn't respond to touch. Did the two-steering-wheel-button reboot and it has been fine since.

My car is a 2021 Made in China Long Range.

I had the same problem with car waking up and having the touch screen being unresponsive and requiring one to several reboots. The problem started a few months ago, and I assumed it was related to a firmware update. But this past weekend, while driving, the screen went completely black. Only to flash 'on' every 60 seconds for a duration of less than a second. When the display does flashed 'on', the display appears to be updating correctly

My car is still drivable, but when the center display flashes 'on' for less than a second, there is not enough time to react and control anything on screen and in fact the touch screen may not be operable. I know it 'on' flashes every 60 seconds because I used my cell phone Stopwatch feature to time it. There are some things you can do with the App, as far as controls, but not much.

The display electrically connects directly to the MCU computer by only two wires (12V power and Ground), plus a coax cable which I assume is bi-directional data in order to receive display data and to send back the touch screen user input.

This is on my 2018 AWD Model 3 and my warranty does not expire until September this year. So, I already have a Service Appointment for later this week. The Service Technician should be able to diagnose the problem without swapping out known good components.. I assume it could be either the center display or MCU computer.

I looked on eBay and see some new center displays for $300 USD shipped. The Tesla parts catalog only lists one part number.

Thanks Philer, That's worked for me. I have a Model 3 LR FSD 09/29/2019.