TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Screen went black while driving!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jlucero, Feb 19, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

weirdest thing---started driving, the screen was frozen, non responsive. then the screen went black. i tried the regular thing of pressing both bottons on the steering wheel. did this for 20 minutes with no luck. then all of a sudden, screen comes back on on its own....what else can i try next time this happens?

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Interesting thing... I had AP engaged the other day while on the highway in stop and go traffic and decided to reboot both displays... Other than a brief "take over immediately" warning right before the reboot was started, AP continued to operate normally until everything came back...

Jeff

3. strider

strider Active Member

Sounds like it rebooted itself. Which screen was it? If you press and hold the upper buttons on the steering wheel that reboots the screen in front of you (small one w/ the speedo). If you press and hold the scroll wheels it will reboot the middle (large) screen.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

new auto-brightness feature kicked in too hard... did you pass into a tunnel? :tongue:

5. jlucero

jlucero Member

No no tunnel. It was wide open freeway. And it was the main screen that went black. The screen in front of the driver went dinner and couldn't control it either. It was dimmer but I could still see it. The main screen was total black...

6. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

My 17" screen went black when I was trying to enter some nav info. I did nothing and in less than a minute it rebooted and went right to the spot I was entering data.

7. jlucero

jlucero Member

interesting...mine took about 20 minutes to come back on.

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

The length of time is weird. But every Tesla I have owned the screen has went blank (restarted itself) a time or two. Never for 20 minutes though.

9. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I had both screens go out on me while driving for no reason, I wasn't interacting with the screen at all. Stayed that way for at least 5-10 minutes before I pulled over. As soon as I opened the driver side door, everything came back on. It happened about a year after I bought it and I've had it three years now, it only happened that once.

10. jlucero

jlucero Member

Yes, my step was gonna be to pull over and get out of the car and get back in and to see what happened.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

Car falls asleep while you're driving. That's a switch!

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mine has never rebooted by itself in three years. However, it has sometimes taken a very long time to come back (well over 20 minutes). When it takes a long time, I've found getting out of the car and walking far enough away so that it locks and then getting back in solves the issue. Note that this behaviour started in 6.x.

13. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Mine went black today on the way home from work. I re-booted and it seems to be fine.

14. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

I had that happen to me when starting up in a parking lot (screen behind steering wheel). The reboot took care of it.

My buddy who is interested in buying a Tesla was with me. I think he was first a little hesitant about the car when it happened, but we got Tesla Service on the phone and they walked us through it and described what they saw from their end. He was very impressed with that experience, so I think he is "back" as a future owner.