Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen went black...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i have a 2015 Model S 70D and today when i took car out of garage (it was charged and happy), the screen refused to turn on. when this usually happens, i reset the screen by putting car in park, pressing brake, and pressing both scroll buttons until the T pops up, usually between 30-60 seconds. nothing would work today. tried this method 5-6 times with no luck.

anything else i can try to get the screen on?

thank you.

Well the clue for me is you say "when this usually happpens,... So its not new. My two cents is: The eMMC inside the MCU is in near total failure. If it comes up one more time, you should make sure you have scheduled charging turned off, and remove PIN to drive. Because when it finally fails, you will not be able to login with the PIN or charge.
You should read this Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)
And make an appointment to get your MCU replaced with a new eMMC
Sorry.

ohhhh boy. i must confess im pretty auto illiterate and alot of what you are saying is greek to me. ive read a bit about that link you sent me, and it does appear to have some of my problems, namely,

· Center display (MCU) is black and wont power on
· 3G/LTE connection lost frequently where signal should be good
· Maps drawing slow

what is the eMMC? is that a chip inside the MCU?

most likely, i will wait until tuesday to make an appt with service center. any idea what this would cost? im out of warranty :(

Naturally the MCU is the Media Control Unit. - Center screen. People are going to fuss that this is not entirely accurate. But I am trying to make it a bit more understandable. Think of it as the CPU of a Desktop computer system. The eMMC is like the main processor inside. The eMMC is mounted on a board called the Tegra board, named for a Video Graphics company. Now, think of the eMMC as a processor for storage data and the SD Media card you put in a camera. The eMMC wears out just like the camera SD Media. It takes a while. The operating system (OS) that the car uses is stored on the eMMC. Other files are also stored. Actions performed on the car like loading and saving/storing the OS. other critical files are stored there that the car needs. And, streaming data like music stores there temporarily, the car logs data to the eMMC too. Again, actions that the car takes use and wear out the eMMC. As it wears out it gets to a point it won't let the car boot/start up. That - I think - is what you are beginning to see more often on yours. Tesla can fix it. If its under warranty, cost will be nearly nothing. If you have to pay, it will be about $1600 including parts, labor and tax.The fix will likely last the next 5 years.

Helpful?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and outdoors
yea, i hope you arent right either haha. but even if you arent right, it sounds like the eMMC is going to fail most likely as a matter of time.

i live in the LA, CA area.....does anyone trust other 3rd party auto shops to fix this? or just go back to tesla?