Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Screen went dark with headlights

Hazard lights should always work as long as the 12V battery is good and those lights function. The switch for the hazard lights is above the rear view mirror, Tesla was forced to make this a physical switch, the rules. If that is not working then schedule an apt. That is supposed to work no matter what, in case of disabled vehicle on side of road.

As for driving, the car is supposed to still be driveable even if the computer does a reboot. If you are uncomfortable about driving should that happen, just pull over and wait. The computer is an add-on, it should not interfere with your ability to still drive the car manually. Of course you will not have navigation, etc. while it is rebooting. If a computer reboot while driving would cause the car to be no longer driveable then there is a much bigger problem and we would not have these rolling computers on our roads.

I’m curious - does the screen freezing/going dark happen to everyone or is it somewhat rare? I ask because I’m getting the MY in a couple of weeks and I want to prepare my technophobic spouse appropriately. Trade off between scaring her vs informing her.
Actually in 4 years of driving my Telsa, I have NEVER seen the screen go black or reboot.

You have a faulty cable, most likely. Mine is worse. It’s flickering, unresponsive to touch, and goes total black. The car functions perfectly well tho, and you still can use voice control for all your needs. The two button reset helps to turn it back on, but it’s not a permanent fix. You would want to note the time down and make a service appointment.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC