Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Won't Turn On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our Model 3 Standard Range Plus two weeks ago and on five different occasions I go into my garage to leave the house in the car and when I open the door the screen won't turn on. I've tried exiting the car and re-entering, I've tried holding down the two scroll wheels to reset the screen, but I'm having no luck. This morning after three tries both with my cellphone and my actual key card I actually tried opening the passenger door and voila the screen turned on. It is like the screen goes to sleep and won't wake up. Any suggestions? Should I be booking a service appointment?

I would say the first thing you should check is what version of software you are running on the car, you might have a odd build with some sort of bug, but if you do book a service appointment they may push a software update first before having you come in, does the car get access to wifi when it's parked.
Does pushing the brake pedal turn the screen on or sitting in the drivers seat.

Reactions: dgreensp
I would say the first thing you should check is what version of software you are running on the car, you might have a odd build with some sort of bug, but if you do book a service appointment they may push a software update first before having you come in, does the car get access to wifi when it's parked.
Does pushing the brake pedal turn the screen on or sitting in the drivers seat.
We are running version 2021.4.12
The car has wifi in our garage - it is actually very strong wifi.
I can enter the doors, but pushing the brake pedal or sitting in the drivers seat does nothing to turn on the screen. It seems to be usually after the car has been sitting for a very long time.

2021.4.12 is what "everyone" is running currently. "after the car has been sitting for a very long time" probably means the car went to sleep, disconnecting the high voltage. Pressing the brake pedal should turn the screen on, although it would be unresponsive for many seconds, as mine does, while the system finishes starting up. Even after waiting say 10-15 seconds, your screen doesn't turn on?

@dgreensp - did you raise a service request? Despite responses about resets and disconnecting battery, there's no normal reason you should need to do any of that - I've had a M3 and MY and both "just work" whether left for hours or days. Sometimes a slight wakeup time on the days side, but nothing that needs any special action.

It seems like the screen takes longer to turn on when the weather is cold. Today was the worst I’ve seen, it took about 3 minutes to come on, the screen was all black until then. I almost called for roadside assistance but then it finally came on.

We picked up our Model 3 Standard Range Plus two weeks ago and on five different occasions I go into my garage to leave the house in the car and when I open the door the screen won't turn on. I've tried exiting the car and re-entering, I've tried holding down the two scroll wheels to reset the screen, but I'm having no luck. This morning after three tries both with my cellphone and my actual key card I actually tried opening the passenger door and voila the screen turned on. It is like the screen goes to sleep and won't wake up. Any suggestions? Should I be booking a service appointment?
Had the same issue. Literally everyone I know who has had a model Y/3 has had the same issue, hard reset isn't working. Tesla seems inclined to blame the user for not getting a software update (as if that justifies bricking your car), but I download every update as soon as its available and confirmed there were no updates pending when I had my issue. Had to get it towed....

I’ve had the same issue at least four times in the last eight weeks. I called Tesla for help and they advised me to reset the computer through a hard reset. On the screen where you have all of your controls go to safety and hit the power off button. The car was shut down and reset automatically. Not sure if this is the solution but it’s working for now. Nice to know I’m not the only one in the same boat. I’m driving a 2016 model S and love it. Car looks brand new and drives like a dream. I’ve had a new CPU installed at the cost of $3000 but that just accelerates the response time. Hopefully I didn’t get a bed chip. Who knows!

I’ve had the same issue at least four times in the last eight weeks. I called Tesla for help and they advised me to reset the computer through a hard reset. On the screen where you have all of your controls go to safety and hit the power off button. The car was shut down and reset automatically. Not sure if this is the solution but it’s working for now. Nice to know I’m not the only one in the same boat. I’m driving a 2016 model S and love it. Car looks brand new and drives like a dream. I’ve had a new CPU installed at the cost of $3000 but that just accelerates the response time. Hopefully I didn’t get a bed chip. Who knows!
how can one get to that page when no screen is available? is it possible to do through the app ?