Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Won't Turn On

dgreensp

Dec 24, 2020
Vaughan
We picked up our Model 3 Standard Range Plus two weeks ago and on five different occasions I go into my garage to leave the house in the car and when I open the door the screen won't turn on. I've tried exiting the car and re-entering, I've tried holding down the two scroll wheels to reset the screen, but I'm having no luck. This morning after three tries both with my cellphone and my actual key card I actually tried opening the passenger door and voila the screen turned on. It is like the screen goes to sleep and won't wake up. Any suggestions? Should I be booking a service appointment?

Casmium

Sep 14, 2018
Mississauga
I would say the first thing you should check is what version of software you are running on the car, you might have a odd build with some sort of bug, but if you do book a service appointment they may push a software update first before having you come in, does the car get access to wifi when it's parked.
Does pushing the brake pedal turn the screen on or sitting in the drivers seat.

Reactions: dgreensp

dgreensp

Dec 24, 2020
Vaughan
I would say the first thing you should check is what version of software you are running on the car, you might have a odd build with some sort of bug, but if you do book a service appointment they may push a software update first before having you come in, does the car get access to wifi when it's parked.
Does pushing the brake pedal turn the screen on or sitting in the drivers seat.
We are running version 2021.4.12
The car has wifi in our garage - it is actually very strong wifi.
I can enter the doors, but pushing the brake pedal or sitting in the drivers seat does nothing to turn on the screen. It seems to be usually after the car has been sitting for a very long time.

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
2021.4.12 is what "everyone" is running currently. "after the car has been sitting for a very long time" probably means the car went to sleep, disconnecting the high voltage. Pressing the brake pedal should turn the screen on, although it would be unresponsive for many seconds, as mine does, while the system finishes starting up. Even after waiting say 10-15 seconds, your screen doesn't turn on?

richyrich

Apr 13, 2018
Ottawa
@dgreensp - did you raise a service request? Despite responses about resets and disconnecting battery, there's no normal reason you should need to do any of that - I've had a M3 and MY and both "just work" whether left for hours or days. Sometimes a slight wakeup time on the days side, but nothing that needs any special action.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC