Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Yellowed, Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS. I had the screen replaced for the leak. The new screen borders turned yellow and had the treatment with good outcome. However, I put the screen back to daylight mode yesterday and lo, the yellow border is back. Not as bad as the first time, but it is back nonetheless. Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?

....Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?...

It's a display just like a TV or computer screen so if there's contamination to the display, I would demand a fix.

The problem is: Consumer products do run out of warranty after a while so my guess is after a 4-year new car warranty, you might now have to pay for it.

2015 MS. I had the screen replaced for the leak. The new screen borders turned yellow and had the treatment with good outcome. However, I put the screen back to daylight mode yesterday and lo, the yellow border is back. Not as bad as the first time, but it is back nonetheless. Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?
When was the last time they fixed the screen? Maybe worth a shot to see if they can fix it under good-will since its a pretty quick fix

I am familiar with the yellow border issue, but what is the actual root cause? A colleague’s 2018 100D developed the yellow border after just 10 months, but my Raven S (May 2019 build date) has not developed the issue yet.

Some reports say cabin heat causes the glue to discolor, but doesn’t Cabin Overheat Protection mitigate this?? Sorry the issue returned for OP. What can others do to avoid or prevent the issue?

I am familiar with the yellow border issue, but what is the actual root cause? A colleague’s 2018 100D developed the yellow border after just 10 months, but my Raven S (May 2019 build date) has not developed the issue yet.

Some reports say cabin heat causes the glue to discolor, but doesn’t Cabin Overheat Protection mitigate this?? Sorry the issue returned for OP. What can others do to avoid or prevent the issue?

The best we know is that some screens didn't get enough UV curing when they were assembled so the uncured adhesive in the screen yellows over time. (We don't know why but two common theories are that the speed up the manufacturing and didn't allow enough cure time, or the UV lamps were allowed to get too old, and as they age they put out less UV which resulted in partially cured adhesive.)

In other words, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. But a good UV treatment should take care of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatherTo1
I was told that they will only do the UV fix once. I already had my screen replaced about 1.5 yrs ago and it came back within a year. Mind you, my car has essentially been parked in the garage almost 24/7 for an entire year! I suppose I'll wait just until the 4 year warranty ends to have the UV fix. Keeping the screen on night mode definitely helps make the border less noticeable.

Do they have to replace the display for the eMMC fix? I thought they just replace the chipset or daughter board.

Tesla does not replace the screen for the eMMC replacement
It's an option if you pay $1500 for Ap1 or $2000 for AP2 (needing HW3). It's really the infotainment upgrade but a lot of people having the eMMC issue are opting to go that direction because you supposedly get a MCU2 and both displays replaced, if I understand correctly.

My question would be then if they do replace the displays are you just getting another one that will have problems like yellowing or will you be getting a set that will not yellow?

It's an option if you pay $1500 for Ap1 or $2000 for AP2 (needing HW3). It's really the infotainment upgrade but a lot of people having the eMMC issue are opting to go that direction because you supposedly get a MCU2 and both displays replaced, if I understand correctly.

My question would be then if they do replace the displays are you just getting another one that will have problems like yellowing or will you be getting a set that will not yellow?
That is really hard to answer. It all depends if you’re getting MCU2 display from a batch that didn’t cure the adhesive long enough. I would hope the MCU2 upgrades are from newer stock that has been assembled with “best practices”.

IIRC correctly, Tesla now declares the screen as a consumable, like wipers, tires, or brakes. Even when I took my (then) less than a year old Model S with yellow screen, they told me it's normal and not covered under warranty.