Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Yellowed, Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I noticed that the screen had severe yellowing again. What the hell? I guess it's not merely a curing issue
If anything it bought Tesla some time to get many more cars outside the warranty period so it becomes YOUR problem (not that they considered this yellowing a defect to begin with anyway). I've had my screen running in dark mode since it was re-cured, maybe I need to switch back to daylight mode to see what state it is in. :eek:

Tesla will consider it a cosmetic defect and not honor the warranty which is BS. If you paint starts to peel it is covered by a warranty and it is cosmetic.
Completely agree ... I don't expect that any other car manufacturer that is building a $90K+ vehicle would consider this cosmetic. I have to keep my screen on night mode to "minimize" the look of the yellow band (but it is still CLEARLY visible). I may just end up selling the vehicle when my Rivian R1S comes in.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Completely agree ... I don't expect that any other car manufacturer that is building a $90K+ vehicle would consider this cosmetic. I have to keep my screen on night mode to "minimize" the look of the yellow band (but it is still CLEARLY visible). I may just end up selling the vehicle when my Rivian R1S comes in.
Or maybe rather than trust what some person here thinks you should open a service appointment with Tesla and see if they will cover it. (They likely will if you are still under warranty. And if you aren't last I heard the UV treatment was fairly inexpensive.)

Reactions: ucmndd
Or maybe rather than trust what some person here thinks you should open a service appointment with Tesla and see if they will cover it. (They likely will if you are still under warranty. And if you aren't last I heard the UV treatment was fairly inexpensive.)
I already had the screen replaced once because of yellowing and when I reported the yellowing again a year ago, I was told that they do not replace and will only use the UV treatment method and will only do that ONCE as a courtesy. This is why I'll wait until about a month before my warranty expires to get the treatment.

I already had the screen replaced once because of yellowing and when I reported the yellowing again a year ago, I was told that they do not replace and will only use the UV treatment method and will only do that ONCE as a courtesy. This is why I'll wait until about a month before my warranty expires to get the treatment.
The book cost on this treatment is something like $30, even if they do insist on charging you. Living with it and being angry about it to maybe save $30 is absurd.

The UV treatment is generally permanent and works well. Very very few cases of the problem returning after an initial treatment.

Last edited:
The book cost on this treatment is something like $30, even if they do insist on charging you. Living with it and being angry about it to maybe save $30 is absurd.

The UV treatment is generally permanent and works well. Very very very few cases of the problem returning after an initial treatment.

Thanks ... that's good to know. Maybe I'll have them perform the treatment and evaluate again before warranty is up. I was told that this could not be mobile service to perform the treatment so I'd have to drop it off at a service center (which has generally been a VERY BAD experience). Costa Mesa is a mess, haven't tried Rancho Cucamonga yet, maybe they won't damage my vehicle!!!

Thanks ... that's good to know. Maybe I'll have them perform the treatment and evaluate again before warranty is up. I was told that this could not be mobile service to perform the treatment so I'd have to drop it off at a service center (which has generally been a VERY BAD experience). Costa Mesa is a mess, haven't tried Rancho Cucamonga yet, maybe they won't damage my vehicle!!!
I believe that's still true RE mobile service - the light box thing they use is bulky, needs a power source, and has to sit on the screen for a couple hours, so not a good candidate for mobile.

yup ... seems like it comes back! Happened to mine again as well. I was told that they would do ONE curing fix on the screen. I'm waiting before my 4 year warranty is up to get it done.

I have a 2017 Model S that supposedly had the screen replaced as part of the paid infotainment upgrade in 2020, but the screen edges are yellow.
Either the new screen is developing the same issue again, or the original wasn't replaced and just (insufficiently?) UV treated.

Service center says it was replaced. I have an extended warranty through June, but getting pushback. Looks like others are in the same boat - would be great if folks could share their experiences on how to address this :(

Attachments

• screen border.png
    screen border.png
    583 KB · Views: 117
I brought mine in for a UV treatment and they ended up replacing the screen. It was already replaced previously the first time the border yellowing happened a couple of years ago. If your vehicle is still under warranty push for a repair or replacement!

My out of warranty 2018 had yellowed badly and the prior owner didn’t care. They comped the treatment. But it didn’t make enough difference to avert an infotainment upgrade.

I presume they put the uv lamp on it while they were doing other service.

If it recurs I won’t be happy, and I will do my own treatment with uv led strips from Amazon.

So went to the Tesla service center with the obviously yellowed screen:

(1) The car had already been upgraded to MCU2
(2) They will try the UV fix, which apparently may or may not fully fix it.
(3) They absolutely refused to replace the screen under warranty, even though I had shelled out $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade as well.

3) They absolutely refused to replace the screen under warranty, even though I had shelled out $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade as well.

See first post at Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it! - there is a decent chance arbitration would force them to cover if still under warranty. I won my challenge - perhaps took 2 to 3 hours of my time. Doesn't hurt to try.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
So went to the Tesla service center with the obviously yellowed screen:

(1) The car had already been upgraded to MCU2
(2) They will try the UV fix, which apparently may or may not fully fix it.
(3) They absolutely refused to replace the screen under warranty, even though I had shelled out $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade as well.
Performing the UV fix first is a reasonable and obvious course of action.

I went in to get the infotainment upgrade as well as the FSD computer upgrade. I had the yellow ring but after the upgrades the yellow was gone. I went back in and asked. I was told the screen was replaced as part of the infotainment upgrade.
I’d planned to treat the yellow screen myself but hadn’t yet done it. I had bought the nail glue curing light box from Amazon, $22. So it was just a matter of pulling it apart and making a frame to hold it in place Then treating the screen.

I noticed my 2016 screen border yellowing in 2020. In the middle of COVID, I was avoiding service, even though they would fix it for free. For $20 and a small amount of effort, I made my own UV box to eliminate the yellowing. Yellow Border Screen Fix – TeslaTap Only needed to do it once but did the job. Not as powerful as what the service tech uses, but you just leave it on longer. A year later, I replaced MCU2 (with new screens) as I wanted the newer features and snapper operation, so I can't say if the yellowing would have come back.