Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Yellowed, Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue with my 2018 Model S. A couple of years ago a service technician came to my house to do the ultraviolet treatment. Fast forward to a month ago I had to take it to the shop for the same issue and this time the other display had the same problem. Whatever they did, did not work. I requested service again. This time they want me to pay $1,750 for a display replacement upgrade.

I had this issue with my 2018 Model S. A couple of years ago a service technician came to my house to do the ultraviolet treatment. Fast forward to a month ago I had to take it to the shop for the same issue and this time the other display had the same problem. Whatever they did, did not work. I requested service again. This time they want me to pay $1,750 for a display replacement upgrade.
Will they guarantee that the replacement display will not yellow? It seems that all the MCU2 (and maybe current?) displays yellow over time, even the newer replacements.

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
Tesla will consider it a cosmetic defect and not honor the warranty which is BS. If you paint starts to peel it is covered by a warranty and it is cosmetic.
Because it affects the overwhelming majority of S and X vehicles of all years, Tesla knows this and knows how much it would cost them to replace all of those screens hence the "only cosmetic" excuse. Musk fully realizes that Tesla fanaticism is highest amongst any auto brand, this is why he gets away with this BS.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Because it affects the overwhelming majority of S and X vehicles of all years, Tesla knows this and knows how much it would cost them to replace all of those screens hence the "only cosmetic" excuse. Musk fully realizes that Tesla fanaticism is highest amongst any auto brand, this is why he gets away with this BS.
Eh? Tesla has satisfactorily addressed this issue, for free, for basically everyone.

Eh? Tesla has satisfactorily addressed this issue, for free, for basically everyone.
Where are you basing this on? Literally within this VERY THREAD we've already read from posters of 1) it returning, 2) it not being 100% fixed, 3) being a one time fix then charged. Did i mention in many cases it either took MONTHS to get it looked at or even longer to schedule? You post as if there was some sort of poll taken to come to that conclusion.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
I'd like to know why some yellow and others don't. My four Teslas have never had any yellowing. Why? What causes it? What fixes it? Sounds like UV takes care of some of it for a while, but why do most cars not have this problem at ALL?
The best we can tell there was a manufacturing change, or issue, where screens weren't being properly cured. It could be that they increased the line speed such that the screens didn't get enough UV exposure to fully cure the adhesive, or it could be that the UV bulbs went past their life before they were replaced and the output was insufficient for proper curing. (They may have changed adhesives as well changing curing requirements.) So it probably only impacts screens that were made in a particular date range.