Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screens froze while driving. Scroll button reset not Reset.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Took delivery of my Model X two weeks ago. MCU2 verified.

During a drive today, both the instrument cluster screen and the 17" screen froze, unresponsive. I couldn't see what speed I as doing, where I was, nothing.

When I pulled over and attempted the scroll button reset method, it didn't work. Tesla support asked me to drive 70 miles home and wait till the weekday for a service visit. It just seems super unsafe to drive without any feedback.

I'm at a supercharger now and generally know my way around cars. I had a minor issue ironed out midweek by a 12V battery reset done by my local Tesla service guy. Does anyone here know how to DIY?

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
I found the fuse box located in the frunk. Don't know which one to pull. I understand there is a battery for powering up the critical systems that is separate from the main battery pack. If I could get instructions on how to disconnect it, I'm gold.

I think the S and X have the same fuse layout....
pic

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Ugg this is terrible part of the new MCU2 design. With MCU1 the center console could freeze to its heart content and not affect your speedometer / ap indications. Now with MCU2 the instrument cluster is tied to the center console and every center console software crash will take out your driving display too... Poor design choice..

Reactions: X Fan
I also have a new MX with the new Intel MCU. Indeed, the scroll wheel thing no longer will re-boot.

I have had frozen and black dashboard screens. What does seem to work is the Power Off button on the 17" screen. It seems to do the equivalent of a re-boot for me and will restore things back to how they should be. Obviously can't do while driving, and if the 17" is frozen or dark, you're SOL as well.

Just tried it. Worked like a charm!

I powered off the MCU2 w/ Controls/E-brake & Power Off/Power Off

After a few seconds, I held onto both steering wheel buttons. (I was using keyless, so had to unlock on the app and opened the door) Pressing the brake pedal woke up the displays, Tesla T on the dash, then black, Tesla T on the 17", then blank, then normal screens (and reset confirmed by my now-working backup camera).

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Just tried it. Worked like a charm!

I powered off the MCU2 w/ Controls/E-brake & Power Off/Power Off

After a few seconds, I held onto both steering wheel buttons. (I was using keyless, so had to unlock on the app and opened the door) Pressing the brake pedal woke up the displays, Tesla T on the dash, then black, Tesla T on the 17", then blank, then normal screens (and reset confirmed by my now-working backup camera).

Awesome, glad it worked

This didn't work for me at all. Systems don't really seem to power down. Screens go off, but don't come back on with brake. They come right back on if I shift my weight or open a door. Scroll wheels don't do anything to reboot.

My experience as well. Also, if it is the 17" that is frozen or black, this obviously won't work as you can't get to the Power Off button!

+1 Another new Tesla Model X owner of about 2 weeks. Same thing happened to me today. Sitting at a red light. 17" screen becomes unresponsive. Freezes then starts glitching like crazy. Eventually while driving all screen goes black and it reboot itself after a few minutes. Seems to be OK for now....until next time?

This is only 1 of 11 other issues for my brand new MX. Other major issues include 2nd row power motor defective, uneven AC airflow in front seats, green screen for backup camera, rain pouring in while opening FWD's, etc.....

Seriously. Wished the quality got better from Tesla but...... still wishing thinking.

MX was a March 2018 mfg date.