Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screens go dark again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that this is a recurring "thing", but driving down the road and having your car reboot in front of you is extremely disconcerting. Is this truly normal activity?

Last week, I had just left the office, heading home. I was listening to a podcast from my Bluetooth-connected iPhone and it stuttered, then stopped. I thought it was a bad recording, then suddenly my 17" went black followed by the dash screen. Because I had not gotten out of the parking lot, I pulled over and just sat there for about a minute. It came back on and I was able to start my podcast back up and continue home.

I understand that the UI computers are different from the motive computers, but jeez, pick a better time to reboot maybe?

Does anyone have any insight as to what the braintrust at Tesla is thinking when they program a car to do something like that? Couldn't the reboot wait?

Infotainment systems aren't linked to driving, so you can easily keep driving while both screens reboot. Even autopilot stays on, and the indicators work but you don't hear the fake clicks through the speakers.

If you have high beam assist on, the high beam sensors won't work and your high beams will be continuous on, blinding oncoming traffic.

Infotainment systems aren't linked to driving, so you can easily keep driving while both screens reboot. Even autopilot stays on, and the indicators work but you don't hear the fake clicks through the speakers.

If you have high beam assist on, the high beam sensors won't work and your high beams will be continuous on, blinding oncoming traffic.

That is good to know, so if emmc on MCU dies with auto high beam, and in high beam mode, the car would be stuck on high beam for a long time..

Reactions: MXLRplus
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
My car was born in December 2019. Last week it "rebooted" three times whilst on the road. Has me a bit worried.

Interesting, it always is preceded by skipping of my audio from my iPhone via Bluetooth.

This just happened to me yesterday as well. Skipping music and then black main screen and dash display. A/C stopped working. Very disconcerting to drive with no data display. After a couple minutes of driving this way, the Tesla logo came on the display and it rebooted. Seems good now. Worried it will happen again...

Has it continued to crash?

I have read that this is a recurring "thing", but driving down the road and having your car reboot in front of you is extremely disconcerting. Is this truly normal activity?

Last week, I had just left the office, heading home. I was listening to a podcast from my Bluetooth-connected iPhone and it stuttered, then stopped. I thought it was a bad recording, then suddenly my 17" went black followed by the dash screen. Because I had not gotten out of the parking lot, I pulled over and just sat there for about a minute. It came back on and I was able to start my podcast back up and continue home.

I understand that the UI computers are different from the motive computers, but jeez, pick a better time to reboot maybe?

Does anyone have any insight as to what the braintrust at Tesla is thinking when they program a car to do something like that? Couldn't the reboot wait?

I experience this dashboard and touchscreen display blacking out and rebooting randomly on the following occasions:
1. During supercharging at long drives above 200 miles round trip, not with short trips.
2. If during supercharging it does not blackout, one will occur during the drive about after 1 hour while driving.

I experienced all of this after the upgrade from Hardware 2.5 to Hardware 3, and OTA update on Traffic Light/Sign Aware function.
I submitted a service request for this, let us see what Tesla respond to this.

Reactions: X-pilot
My 2019 has done this twice. They brought it in for service two weeks ago and could find nothing on the log though I was able to give them the exact time and date of occurance. They ended up doing a MCU factory reboot (which is a real pain) and told me if it happened again they might have to replace the MCU. I had a falcon wing door sensor replaced at the same time and when I got home I discovered that my front and rear sensors are now not working. I have another appointment scheduled with them in a week. I think they forgot to reenable the sensor system after the replacement, but they are not talking to me about my theory. This is my second X since 2016, and I think the service has gone down hill somewhat.

Happened to me three times during a 1,000 mile trip in my 9-19 MX. Have not had any recent software updates, but visited 5 superchargers during the trip. Don't think that had anything to do with it, since it didn't happen in the other direction. First time was very scary at 70 MPH on I-95.

I just completed an 800 mile road trip and had a Infotainment freezer / reboot at my first Supercharger stop. It took a solid 5 minutes of forced reboots until it finally came back online. I've had a few very slow boots and a few reboots, but nothing like this before... Of course I'm 1500 miles / 3 months away from coming out of warranty.

I just completed an 800 mile road trip and had a Infotainment freezer / reboot at my first Supercharger stop. It took a solid 5 minutes of forced reboots until it finally came back online. I've had a few very slow boots and a few reboots, but nothing like this before... Of course I'm 1500 miles / 3 months away from coming out of warranty.

Have your SC do a diagnostic to see if it's the MCU and by all means have it replaced before being out of warranty. Would like to know if this is unique to MX or MS as well. Let us know how you make out.

Report it right away and push for replacement from SC.

Have your SC do a diagnostic to see if it's the MCU and by all means have it replaced before being out of warranty. Would like to know if this is unique to MX or MS as well. Let us know how you make out.

This is unique to all MCU1 S and X made. More details on the consolidated post. Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Looks like you have a 19, MCU2, hopefully you have a different issue.

Appointment made, but it's 2 weeks out. Luckily the X has not been driven all too often as I've been trying to keep as many miles off it as possible while I make a decision about paying for the ESA or not. It's not cheap... but I've had funky issues with my X and I just can't see owning it out of warranty. It's in great condition and I just don't see the need to have to buy a new one. The '90' battery is in pretty good shape with about 6% degradation and I'm not #Chargegated, but I rarely use Superchargers (only when road tripping, which is a couple times a year). I wish I had confidence in my vehicle to own it out of warranty, but the fact that Tesla is the only shop that can fix it... well, I probably should just pony up the $ and get the ESA.

Appointment made, but it's 2 weeks out. Luckily the X has not been driven all too often as I've been trying to keep as many miles off it as possible while I make a decision about paying for the ESA or not. It's not cheap... but I've had funky issues with my X and I just can't see owning it out of warranty. It's in great condition and I just don't see the need to have to buy a new one. The '90' battery is in pretty good shape with about 6% degradation and I'm not #Chargegated, but I rarely use Superchargers (only when road tripping, which is a couple times a year). I wish I had confidence in my vehicle to own it out of warranty, but the fact that Tesla is the only shop that can fix it... well, I probably should just pony up the $ and get the ESA.
Right there with you. I have until July of next year to decide if I get the ESA. Right now I'm thinking yes, because it just isn't worth the dollars to go to a newer X. My 90 battery is only down around 2.5%, and all the feature updates seem minor, especially for the dollars.

Reactions: HostileHarry
I have quite often black screens in my MX (March-2020). It's very linked to bluetooth and/or rear camera operations.

Anyone has a clue on the reasons and ways to solve it?
Do I need to bring it into the SC?

Thanks!