TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Screenshot feature, where are they saved?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by TheAustin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

#1 TheAustin, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    If you press and hold down the bottom right-hand button on the steering wheel (the "back" button") for a few seconds, the follow message appears on the touchscreen:

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot for Instrument Cluster saved.
    Screenshot for Center Display saved.

So...Where are they saved to?!?!?! And how can we see them? Or is this just some internal/service thingy?

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

It's an internal service thingy so when your car throws up an error screen you can grab a screenshot and the tech can pull it remotely.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to do this themselves, e.g. "what is my ip address" then see if they can remotely get in and poke around. lol (heh, sorry I'm a software engineer so I like to try and get in and pull things like these apart). Every 3G connection has a unique IP so finding the remote endpoint is easy enough, but then requires port scanning and trying to break in depending on how locked down their security measures are yet (firewalls, encryption, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is "planned" but not implemented yet. However given the implications of what could happen if someone gets in, that should be top priority over delivering any new features. As a software engineer I know anythings pretty much possible, the question is usually how long does it take for someone to figure it out. Those people are usually either 1) really bored and curious, 2) determined have grand ideas for cool things they can do with that data, or 3) have malicious intent. Lets hope anyone doing this is either 1 or 2.

4. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

We'll find out as soon as the car can connect to your WiFi at home. Then it's just a matter of looking at your DHCP leases.

So right now the screenshots are saved somewhere on de harddrive of your Model S on a place where you can't access them.

5. rlpm

rlpm S P85 | Sig X _P90D_

That (server-reflexive) IP address is likely on the external side of a NA(P)T gateway, so port scanning may not yield much. And what a scan does yield may be mapped to a different device behind that gateway.

Right. This IP address will be assigned to something in the car, likely the Tegra running the 17". Hopefully any listening ports are sufficiently locked down.

6. MitchL

MitchL S#945

Confirmed, at least for me. When my car is at home, its IP address is in the 10.x.x.x block, which is typically used for NAT. My phone (on AT&T) gets a similar IP address.

So, port scanning isn't going to be too helpful...

/Mitch.

7. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Port scanning is also not helpful because the packets are all encrypted, using TLS.

8. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

Some poking around with the external IP address of my car shows a private 3rd party tech company as the owner. I'd guess that there is a secure proxy between the public internet and the car.

9. Vger

Vger Active Member

BTW, I strongly suspect that dealing with all this security stuff is what has held up the WiFi feature for so long.