Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to have a tire replaced about 6 months ago by Tesla Road service. That tire now has leaking and I see a screw in the tire, in an area where it likely can be fixed. I know that these tires have foam on the inside. Am I better off having Tesla repair the tire or use a third-party tire shop?

I had to have a tire replaced about 6 months ago by Tesla Road service. That tire now has leaking and I see a screw in the tire, in an area where it likely can be fixed. I know that these tires have foam on the inside. Am I better off having Tesla repair the tire or use a third-party tire shop?

Some Service Center would fix your flats while others only allow replacements.

If you are willing to pay more, then use Service Center.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why not just have a plug put in? Any tire shop, corner garage or even yourself can do that.
There are many a video out there of people doing it themselves.
Even with the foam inside.

In all my years of driving I've never patched a tire, I've only had to use plugs to repair them.

Upvote 0
Why not just have a plug put in? Any tire shop, corner garage or even yourself can do that.

In all my years of driving I've never patched a tire, I've only had to use plugs to repair them.
I have done it myself in the past but not sure if it is any different because of the foam. Also, at least in FL, it is my understanding that by law, they cannot do plugs and must remove tire and patch from the inside.

Upvote 0

THIS!!! Buy a plug kit, costs less than $20. Stores in your trunk along with a cheap air compressor. You can plug a tire at the side of the road without removing either tire or wheel. I don't know what a tire shop charges to patch a tire, but it's surely more than $20, and once you've fixed your own tire, you generally find it's easier than driving (on a leaky tire) to a tire shop.

Upvote 0