Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw puncture in brand new tire (<70mi!) repair with Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I was doing my daily visual inspection of my brand new Tesla and on Saturday night I found out I have a large screw in my tire! Not even 70mi on those tires. It went in fully.

Called roadside assistance, sent me a tow truck and installed a tesla loaner wheel same size and tire.

Now tesla advisor said after inspecting the tire that it needs to be replaced, "the damage was done on the outer side of the tire".

I got a shock when he said it'll cost #356.40 for a new tire! Wow, that's a lot of money. Those tires have acoustic and green stuff aka low rolling resistance.

Tire racks sell them for $275 with shipping it's $12, then install and balancing would be another $25 maybe.

Thoughts? And does it need to get wheel alignment as wheel? Tesla said they could do wheel alignment at no cost..

Thanks!

tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg

I used to think that area of the tire could be fixed with a patch as well since the nail is not on the sidewall. But when I took mine to Costco tire center for a similar problem, they said the tire needed to be replaced. After thinking about it, I agree. my reasoning is that the shoulder part of the tire flexes when driving fast on turns. As a result, the constant flexing of that area may cause the patch that fixed a flat to loosen or come off.

As for getting a new tire. I think I would have bought a new one from Costco. They can also special order for you. The nice thing about Costco is in situations like this wherein you get a flat tire on a new tire, they will credit you the prorated life of the tire towards the purchase of a new tire.

Nonsense ... just get a tire repair kit and fix the tire yourself :cool:

You do not need a wheel alignment when replacing a tire. Only a balance.

Will they match discount tire? Have you called discount tire?

I'd put a plug in it myself and see how it works.

I used to think that area of the tire could be fixed with a patch as well since the nail is not on the sidewall. But when I took mine to Costco tire center for a similar problem, they said the tire needed to be replaced. After thinking about it, I agree. my reasoning is that the shoulder part of the tire flexes when driving fast on turns. As a result, the constant flexing of that area may cause the patch that fixed a flat to loosen or come off.

As for getting a new tire. I think I would have bought a new one from Costco. They can also special order for you. The nice thing about Costco is in situations like this wherein you get a flat tire on a new tire, they will credit you the prorated life of the tire towards the purchase of a new tire.

Great info guys.
My initial thought was the same, it is sidewall damage why replace whole tire?
But then I read about Model X tires and their "acoustic" properties, seems to be the same case here for those "Green tires" with "TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech".
I understand they are not the same as the regular Michelin-Primacy MXM4 Costco or others are selling for $239.
Wheel alignment is not needed like wheel balancing is, but I bet it can't hurt either.

Just debating now if it's worth the hassle to go get the wheel back, order online and go to another shop to get it done.

Will make a few calls tomorrow to tire centers since they do this every day, and will also hopefully talk (and not just text) with my Tesla SA.

It looks like you get the 19" low profile? I noticed few time cars stranded on the free way with low profile tires.

If you drive cross-country, if this tire get replaced with a new one, I wonder if it could then be used as a spare?

Well, you will need to get a rim, and a jack, but I'd like better to have a spare than waiting for service.

Hi!
I was doing my daily visual inspection of my brand new Tesla and on Saturday night I found out I have a large screw in my tire! Not even 70mi on those tires. It went in fully.

Called roadside assistance, sent me a tow truck and installed a tesla loaner wheel same size and tire.

Now tesla advisor said after inspecting the tire that it needs to be replaced, "the damage was done on the outer side of the tire".

I got a shock when he said it'll cost #356.40 for a new tire! Wow, that's a lot of money. Those tires have acoustic and green stuff aka low rolling resistance.

Tire racks sell them for $275 with shipping it's $12, then install and balancing would be another $25 maybe.

Thoughts? And does it need to get wheel alignment as wheel? Tesla said they could do wheel alignment at no cost..

Thanks!

View attachment 301272 View attachment 301273
Plugs are the bomb man.... just plug it with a tractor repair tire kit.... and don't spray fix a flat in it. Keep that wheel as a high quality spare. and buy a new one.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
It looks like you get the 19" low profile? I noticed few time cars stranded on the free way with low profile tires.

If you drive cross-country, if this tire get replaced with a new one, I wonder if it could then be used as a spare?

Well, you will need to get a rim, and a jack, but I'd like better to have a spare than waiting for service.

Those are 18in wheels with the aero caps off.
Yeah a spare would be nice but Tesla loaner wheel program made it easy for me, since it was in my driveway at home.
But now I have to get the wheel back from Tesla! Was hoping they would plug it.. oh well.

Plugs are the bomb man.... just plug it with a tractor repair tire kit.... and don't spray fix a flat in it. Keep that wheel as a high quality spare. and buy a new one.

So basically don't use that tire other than as a spare? It might kill the trunk space.

Discount Tire will patch for free. But, it looks like it's too close to the sidewall for them. You may want to go to a local tire shop for the repair.

Sending a pic to local shops might be a great idea, thanks! I am still unsure if there's foam inside the tire complicating the repair, but will find out tomorrow morning.

Those are 18in wheels with the aero caps off.

tire2-jpg.301273
Thank you. I missed the "235/45 R18" at the 3 o'clock on the picture.

BTW, I was thinking that the tire's red spot was supposed to be located just next
to the inflation valve and TPMS to help when balancing the wheel.

But in this case, it's just at the opposite, unless the yellow tag serves for this purpose?

I noticed that Tire Racks mentions Model 3 with staggered tires. I wonder if this is for the future 'P' or 'D' versions?

2018 Tesla Model 3

235/45-18
235/40-19

2018 Tesla Model 3 with staggered tires

235/40-19 Front
265/35-19 Rear

235/35-20 Front
275/30-20 Rear !!!!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi!

Are you fretting over paying a tire store ~$312 vs Tesla $356.40? For a tire that has to be shipped in vs one that's there today? For me, just the convenience factor is worth the $44.

If the sidewall of a tire gets damaged, then you are replacing the tire, as the sidewall is where all the strength needs to be. The puncture looks to be marginally at the sidewall, may be dependent on which way the screw embedded itself.

Alignments not needed for flats, unless you maybe hit something.

Are you fretting over paying a tire store ~$312 vs Tesla $356.40? For a tire that has to be shipped in vs one that's there today? For me, just the convenience factor is worth the $44.

If the sidewall of a tire gets damaged, then you are replacing the tire, as the sidewall is where all the strength needs to be. The puncture looks to be marginally at the sidewall, may be dependent on which way the screw embedded itself.

Alignments not needed for flats, unless you maybe hit something.

At this point it is clear if a new tire is needed Tesla is the way to go for convenience.
Just trying to see if it can be repaired, but the conundrum is if I take the wheel back and the tire shops can't repair it then it is a lot of back and forth for nothing.

I had something similar happen to me. I've never had a flat tire in my life but then had two screws in the first two months of Tesla ownership.

To recap the other thread, The first one was deemed non-repairable and I replaced it at the Tesla Service Center. I had to pay full price for the tire even though I had the low tire pressure warning since delivery. I then ordered tire warranty certificates from Discount Tire for all four tires when I found another screw a few weeks later. Discount Tire said the second tire couldn't be repaired and ordered a replacement tire for free. While waiting for that tire to be delivered, I took my car to Tesla for something else and they were able to repair it without any difficulties.

Thanks guys.

Finally spoke to my Service Advisor about the damage to the tire, and said it is not repairable as per Tesla guidelines but suggested I take the tire and check with tire shops if they can fix it. The damage is on the thread very near to the sidewall. I've asked and got more pictures from inside as well.

I've emailed them to tire centers but not getting any response maybe they are too busy.

I do not want to pay $350 if it can be fixed but at the same time I can't spend half a day driving around with my tire in the trunk trying to see if they can fix it.

Here are all the pics:

IMG952038.jpg
IMG952039.jpg
IMG952040.jpg
548109330.jpg
548109317.jpg