Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw you, Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sigh...probably....:(
My wife is quite the opposite when it comes to cars. Every time I gush over seeing some fairly rare vehicle (early 70's De Tomaso Pantera, most Lambos, BMW i8, even a Model 3 when there were hardly any around), she'd sigh and say "it's just a hunk of metal". You would never catch her purring over or caressing the seats of any car. To her it's simply a way to get from point A to point B.

She likes her Ridgeline; don't know if she's in "love" with it. Although it probably scores higher in her estimation than I do :eek: . So I guess I'm in the same boat as you for being inadequate ;). Never thought in a million years she'd go from an Odyssey to a (4 door) pickup....

My 3 is the most favorite car I've owned, although each has had it's good points. The last car that had me enraptured was my 1980 RX-7. I went to a couple of conventions, joined the national and local RX-7 clubs and went on skiing trips, wine tasting trips and autocrosses set up by the club. Made lifelong friends from the BARX7 club. Met an optometrist when we joined the club (1983?) and we're still seeing him. And also some other old members from back then when we get together once a year for a brunch.

My wife is quite the opposite when it comes to cars. Every time I gush over seeing some fairly rare vehicle (early 70's De Tomaso Pantera, most Lambos, BMW i8, even a Model 3 when there were hardly any around), she'd sigh and say "it's just a hunk of metal". You would never catch her purring over or caressing the seats of any car. To her it's simply a way to get from point A to point B.

She likes her Ridgeline; don't know if she's in "love" with it. Although it probably scores higher in her estimation than I do :eek: . So I guess I'm in the same boat as you for being inadequate ;). Never thought in a million years she'd go from an Odyssey to a (4 door) pickup....

My 3 is the most favorite car I've owned, although each has had it's good points. The last car that had me enraptured was my 1980 RX-7. I went to a couple of conventions, joined the national and local RX-7 clubs and went on skiing trips, wine tasting trips and autocrosses set up by the club. Made lifelong friends from the BARX7 club. Met an optometrist when we joined the club (1983?) and we're still seeing him. And also some other old members from back then when we get together once a year for a brunch.
This is how my wife and I can make some friends!

I’m actually not kidding.

I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.
As another vet, I'm with you, although I've loved owning and driving sports cars for as long as I've been able. Although much smoother and eminently more practical than most all "conventional" (i.e. gas powered) sports cars it's been great so far (just under 5K miles)...

Reactions: Mosby
I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.

Love this post but, more importantly, THANK YOU for your service!!!

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
Thank you to all that have served. I did not serve in the military, but as a police officer for my entire career of 42 years. Proud to say that our son is a Captain in the Navy, a submariner. I too love my M3P. Like another I had a list of hot cars, including 11 Corvettes and enjoyed the friendship of many thru that one car, the Corvette. I still have the friends, but not the Vette! Unreal that the Tesla is quicker to 60mph than any car I have owned, including the 10 Corvette ZR1. The 3 is an amazing car/computer and I love the one pedal driving!

I'm confused. How did you spend $200 in maintenance in only 8,500 miles? :confused:

Designer windshield washer fluid? Including car wash soap and wax?

Reactions: Mosby and Pollux
I love my M3P, so does my daughter Amy! Awesome vehicle.

My Pop was in WWII and he drove my M3 at 93 years old. Is he the oldest veteran to drive one?

Anyway. Interesting title but I agree. I never cleaned a car so often and have avoided dings so religiously.
My Grandpa is 98, also WWII vet (3x Purple Heart+POW in Germany as a Jew). He had to quit driving before they came out, but seriously considered letting him try in a parking lot (probably a terrible idea), but if the self driving thing happens does that still count?