Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw you, Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.

I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.

Just lurched into my 94 year. WW2 and Korean War vet. 5 years active duty, USS Hornet. Bought a tesla 3 in 2019. Best car and decision I ever made. My wife says I'm 93......going on 23! She may be right, cause the model 3 and a martini every nite are two of my favorite things! Drive 90% of my time in automatic. To tell you the truth..........it drives better and safer than my manual driving! Hope I'm still around when we can go full self driving.

Thanks to you vets for your service. Wow, 93 and driving the best EV ever. What did HE think about it?
I first had him in a parking lot for a while then was hoping he’d pull over but just nonchalantly went to the stop sign, made a right turn and hit the main roads. :eek:

I was a bit terrified.

He was amazed at the smoothness but blown away at how regen works. That was his big takeaway.

I think the stealth performance scared him a bit.

Great to hear -- thanks for sharing!

Like at least one other, I am also curious how you spent your $200 on maintenance.

Thanks,
Alan

Nicely written Mosby and thank you for your service.

I just celebrated the second anniversary of my 40th birthday. I've owned my model 3 LR RWD for over two years. I did not get to serve in the military, instead, I was an engineer working on military projects. I look for reasons to drive; Honey do we need anything at the market? Costco is having a sale, I need to go there. I'm having lunch with our daughter (she lives 25 miles away). When I point out Tesla model 3's on the road, my wife seems uninterested. I think I need to trade her in for two 40 year old's.

Se
Nicely written Mosby and thank you for your service.

I just celebrated the second anniversary of my 40th birthday. I've owned my model 3 LR RWD for over two years. I did not get to serve in the military, instead, I was an engineer working on military projects. I look for reasons to drive; Honey do we need anything at the market? Costco is having a sale, I need to go there. I'm having lunch with our daughter (she lives 25 miles away). When I point out Tesla model 3's on the road, my wife seems uninterested. I think I need to trade her in for two 40 year old's.
Severely off topic but why doesn’t Costco have EV chargers? Rhetorical question.

Grotesque. Hideous. Look away!

View attachment 587345

I’m with you. Sometimes I just stare at it. Really irrational. I hate you, Tesla!
You got nothin'... I'll see your gorgeous satin red, and raise you a Satin Perfect Blue. ;)

upload_2020-9-14_20-40-6.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: focher and Watts_Up
Every time I walk into my garage or am approaching my car in the parking lot at work I think to myself "%&$# I love that car." I am at nearly two years of ownership, and while the rush of the acceleration has become something "I just expect" rather than a massive "wheeee!" I still love the car just as much as the day I drove it off the lot. Still not a single car I would rather own within 2x its price range (at least for my pre-COVID use case of a long highway commute).

Reactions: Watts_Up
clickbait !

I feel you, Brother.

HOOYAH!
20200915_192944.jpg

• Love
Reactions: scooter62 and Mosby

One of the things I hate about my Model 3 is that stupid happy face it has.

I swear anytime I see one pass by I think it's smiling down the road giddy on electrons.

It's like they released that stupid piece of metal to spread joy. Haha.

Just lurched into my 94 year. WW2 and Korean War vet. 5 years active duty, USS Hornet. Bought a tesla 3 in 2019. Best car and decision I ever made. My wife says I'm 93......going on 23! She may be right, cause the model 3 and a martini every nite are two of my favorite things! Drive 90% of my time in automatic. To tell you the truth..........it drives better and safer than my manual driving! Hope I'm still around when we can go full self driving.

@Mosby and @Pleasantp: This one's for you Shipmates. ;)

CT_CamoIII_Side.png
CT_CamoIII_Front.png
CT_CamoIII_Back_DTOM.png

Render by @EV4K_Mikey
Wrap the Cybertruck | Navy Working Uniform Type III

I'm confused. How did you spend $200 in maintenance in only 8,500 miles? :confused:

Designer windshield washer fluid? Including car wash soap and wax?
Haha. Tire rotation and alignment at a non Tesla service station because our local Tesla dealership made us schedule our service two weeks out and then said we would need to leave the car for 72 hours for A TIRE ROTATION. It's the only thing I've been disappointed in thus far!