TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Screwed by Unwanted PG&E True-Up Period Reset

Discussion in 'California' started by Incredulocious, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF → '13 RAV4EV → '18 Model 3

I just got my PG&E statement for January 2019 and was surprised to find (after calling into PG&E) that my net energy metering (NEM) true-up period has been reset in such a way that I’m getting billed for the month of January separately from the rest of the coming year. My previous true-up period ended at the end of December. Unfortunately this means I won’t be able to offset my consumption in January ($350) against my excess production from later in the year. And of course my significant end-of-year credit for excess production over the last year was reduced to a $50 credit after true-up.

This NEM reset is apparently caused by my automatic enrollment in a local “Community Choice Aggregation” program whereby energy generation is now handled by a local community power group. (For me, that’s Monterey Bay Community Power.)

I’m told by PG&E that I have no recourse and they can make no adjustment to combine this month with the coming or prior year.

Just a heads up for others.

• Informative x 1
  2. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF → '13 RAV4EV → '18 Model 3

Got some more info from an FAQ from PG&E:
    And from my "local community power" group, Monterey Bay Community Power:
    This part is encouraging – may get more credit for my yearly solar net surplus:

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

If you knew it was coming, you probably could have enrolled early with the CCA, causing an early true up. That is what I did when SVCE started up. I enrolled in their 100% renewable plan that has an extra $0.008/kWh charge. However, if you are a net generator, it also increases your reimbursement by that amount. The other "feature" of our CCA, SVCE, is that if you owe them money on any Blue PG&E bill, you have to pay it. That is another reason that I moved my true-up to the spring so I could accumulate some credit balance before winter came. In reality my solar is too small, so I will eventually owe them money anyway. If you have a Winter true-up, you will probably have to pay them monthly until your generation charges go negative. If you are annually net $0, they will just get to hold on to that money until you hit your next true-up. SVCE has a minimum refund amount of $200, IIRC. If your credit balance is less than that, they just let it ride into the next year. If it's larger they will cut you a check. You should check for similar policies with your CCA.

• Helpful x 2