Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screwed twice in less than two months! BAD luck or sabotage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every new car or tires I get ... make it about 2 months before I find a present in the tread.

No way around it... it sucks.
I'd gone well over a decade a few 100k miles without a single instance of tire damage. I bought my first new car: two weeks old, bent wheel + sidewall bubble. Second new car: month old and about to hit the race track in it for the first time, giant screw. New Tesla: a few months old and 3 weeks from it's first visit to the race track, screw in tread on the evening of July 4th while on a road trip. The track visits are notable because it's generally inadvisable to take a repaired tire on the track, so I had to buy new instead of repair. Sucked.

Strings of bad luck happen. That, or someone wants me to stop buying cars.

Anyway, I was disappointed that the Tesla folks do not warranty the tire in any way, whereas you can get a road hazard warranty if you buy a tire at a tire store. Lesson for next time...
True for every manufacturer installed tire to my knowledge. Some big boxes will sell you a warranty on tires they did not install to get guarantied future business.

I had a visit from a ranger today and while we were chatting in the driveway, I spotted a razor blade when I was telling him the story of two screws in two months. I looked around and found a second razor blade and figured the carpet installers that were here two days ago must be responsible. I decided to pass a magnet over the rest of the driveway and couldn't believe what I found. I haven't had any work done on the house in nearly 3 years so I was SHOCKED to find an assortment of nails and screws. Funny how my other cars have been using the driveway all along and never an issue and I may have screwed myself twice!
screws.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: David29
How much coverage does this provide? Aren't there blindspots even with the dual cams? I am thinking about installing as well. . .

I feel like it provides extremely poor coverage against sabotage by nails. I've been victim of a fair share of targeted vandalism attacks (long story), but even I can't imagine someone who's so petty and devoted that they'd sprinkle boxes of screws or razor blades along where your car would drive (or sneak up to your car with a screw and a screwdriver risking serious injury to give you a slowly leaking flat tire on a car with tire pressure sensors)

It's almost more than likely that the victim is unknowingly driving through somewhere as a part of daily routine that has nails on the ground. I had this problem at work, when contractors dropped a box of nails in our parking lot and that resulted in me getting 3 flats in a month, 2 tire replacements because of the location. Even then, despite finding the nails in the parking lot, I wasn't able to get any compensation because it's so hard to forensically prove THAT is where you got the nails from.

A dashcam might provide some coverage for a vandal that keys your car or slashes your tires, but what does that get you? Getting from there to a police report to an arrest to reimbursement is extremely unlikely. And in the meantime you wasted hundreds of dollars on an always-on dashcam setup with arguable savings over lowering your comprehensive deductible or just having a rainy day fund for your deductibles.

• Informative
Reactions: Sully's8