Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scroll Wheel Reversal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I think Tesla should add a nice little feature that for now I'll call "Scroll Wheel Reversal."

When I attempt to use the scroll wheels, I really have to concentrate for a second, because they work opposite of what is intuitive for me. If I don't think about it for a second more times than not I get it wrong, and scroll down when I am trying to bring the item above down to the focus point. The Tesla expects me to scroll down to --GO-- down to the item below the focus point, which brings that item up.

Is it just me, or do others struggle with this as well? Even if it's not a big struggle for you, are there at least some out there who would prefer the scroll wheels work the other way?

I am pretty sure my wife's Apple let's her configure her track pad so gestures down could work to move the screen up or down.

If Tesla were to provide the option to have the scroll wheels work either way, they could easily tie the setting to the driver profile. This way spouses that may disagree on what is intuitive for scroll-wheel movement would not be faced with a toilet paper under or over type of argument.

What do you think? If enough people think this would be a good option for Tesla to add at some point I'll write it up and send it in as a recommendation.

Thanks!

I think Tesla should add a nice little feature that for now I'll call "Scroll Wheel Reversal."

When I attempt to use the scroll wheels, I really have to concentrate for a second, because they work opposite of what is intuitive for me. If I don't think about it for a second more times than not I get it wrong, and scroll down when I am trying to bring the item above down to the focus point. The Tesla expects me to scroll down to --GO-- down to the item below the focus point, which brings that item up.

Is it just me, or do others struggle with this as well? Even if it's not a big struggle for you, are there at least some out there who would prefer the scroll wheels work the other way?
Same for me! I always stop and think about it and still get it wrong almost every time!

I should add that the reversal would not apply to simple "up and down" functions, like raising and lowering the volume, etc. The option to reverse would only apply when we need to scroll something visually on the display.

100% agreed

Agreed, particularly for the sunroof. It feels completely backwards to me.

Great idea. I always get the sunroof open/close wrong.

Same here. Every single time.

Same for me! I always stop and think about it and still get it wrong almost every time!

I totally agree...

OK, so I am not alone!

I will write something up, will send it to Tesla, and will follow-up here with a copy of what I sent.

I just sent the following suggestion to the [email protected] email address:

--
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am writing with a suggestion that I believe would increase the scroll wheel functionality for a large number of Tesla drivers.

Currently the scroll wheels move the “focus” down or up to the item above or below the current selection. This is counter-intuitive to how I, and many others expect the scroll wheels to function. (Support for that below.) The result of this is that we are having to constantly think about what the scroll wheel will do, and if we don’t concentrate, it does the opposite of what we are expecting it to do.

A simple solution would be for Tesla to offer an option to have the scroll wheels function the other way when moving between selections. Instead of moving the “focus”, the scroll wheels would move the “selection.” So to bring the selection at the top down, one would scroll down. (Currently one needs to scroll up to bring the focus up to that selection, which results in the selection moving down.)

The option could be called something like “Scroll Wheel Movement” and the options could be “Scroll Wheels Move Focus” and “Scroll Wheels Move Selection.” The selection should, of course, be tied to the driver profile.

Before writing with this idea, I started a thread on the Tesla Motors Club Forums, to see whether or not others were having issues similar to mine, or whether I might be unique in considering the current scroll wheel setup counter-intuitive. I will provide a link to that thread. It turns out support for my suggestion is strong, as many people –do—find the current scroll wheel functions counter-intuitive.

Link to thread: Scroll Wheel Reversal

Finally, if you were to implement my suggestion, naturally the scroll wheel functionality would not change for functions like raising and lowering the volume or the fan speed.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Sincerely,

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this seems like a Mac vs Windows ergonomic issue. I always get the scrolling wrong on a Windows machine because it is opposite the way it is on a Mac, which they reversed quite a while ago. It's called 'natural scrolling' or something like that.

I wonder if those who get tricked up are typically Windows users, and the Mac users find it intuitive?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this seems like a Mac vs Windows ergonomic issue. I always get the scrolling wrong on a Windows machine because it is opposite the way it is on a Mac, which they reversed quite a while ago. It's called 'natural scrolling' or something like that.

I wonder if those who get tricked up are typically Windows users, and the Mac users find it intuitive?
It's intuitive to me. Unix user.

My wife is a Mac / iPhone user and I am Windows / Android. I tried to ask her, but her response was that she just doesn't use the scroll wheels! (She probably uses them to adjust volume, but not for the things that would provide an answer to the "Windows/Mac" question.)

Isn't there an option, though, on your Macs that allows reversal of the default movement? I thought I remembered seeing that setting once on her Macbook.

No need for it to be an option, just change it so it makes sense. It's simply backwards right now, especially for the sunroof!

It's only backwards to the people complaining. It has never felt backwards to me. It is similar to Mac scroll wheel and airplane controls to change pitch of the airplane. I am sure it feels backwards to half of the population and natural to the other half. It is the same difference that exists in video game controls - in fact, you have the option to reverse the y-axis on controllers to what feels natural in first person games.
It feels completely natural to me and many others that will have no reason to chime in on this thread. To say it is wrong is not a true statement for everbody. It is a matter of personal preference. I agree that this should be an option, but not completely reversed. Otherwise, you will get a new thread from all the rest of us saying it's backwards and asking Tesla to reverse it back.

Last edited: