Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scrolling wheel on steering wheel easily breaks. Is the part available separately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey W: mine just broke. I read here about how someone fixed it using a hex wrench and a spacer. I want to just 3d print a new knob myself. Would you be willing to work with me on the dimensions? How much did it cost on eBay? I agree Tesla should let us buy it. With video games in car, these controls should be tested like X box controllers are... I was so surprised to see its a plastic part that will definitely break with use. Texas has high heat so that's always a factor for plastic.

Attachments

• broken tesla scroll wheel1.jpg
    broken tesla scroll wheel1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,286
I have been afflicted by this!

Out of warranty. So I killed the battery and pulled the switch.

I am so disappointed in Tesla in how lousy this switch is. I don't know how this doesn't happen more often. The part that breaks is so fragile that I'm sure that harsh language would snap it apart.

So obviously I can't just buy the part from Tesla. I mean, why would Tesla sell me parts to fix my car when I can just spend 90k on a new one? I see it in the parts catalogue with no discernable way to buy it. If I'm missing something here then by all means call me an idiot and point it out.

So I now have to fabricate a fix. I see the link about. Has some good ideas in it. The problem so far is that a 1/16 doesn't actually fit quite right. It's just slightly too small. A 1/16 hex driver is 1.5875mm. The part that broke is 1.69mm. I'm going to sleep on it but I might try shaving down a 2mm until it fits.

I seriously hope Tesla gets their sh!T together and comes up with a parts department like a real car company. That or I'm going to have to invest in more tooling to fabricated things that break.

I see it in the parts catalogue with no discernable way to buy it. If I'm missing something here then by all means call me an idiot and point it out.

Unless you have an unsupported vehicle (gray market or salvage title), you should be able to walk in a Service Center with your VIN and purchase the part over the counter. It's a hassle that you can't buy parts online, or call and have the parts waiting for you, but they will sell parts to any owner of a supported vehicle.

Reactions: WhiteWi
You are correct. I was overreacting a bit. It's not as bad as my rant would lead people to believe. But it still isn't nearly as good as it should be.

I did end up walking into a SC and bought it over the counter, $200 (ouch!). Still better than spending a weekend fabbing a replacement.

Has Tesla cranked up the parts cost a lot lately?
Maybe that will mean easier parts availability?
The door microswitch wiring harness went from $22 to $140.
Hopefully, many common failure points will spawn an aftermarket. Although I have to say, this is the first time I have heard about the scroll wheels.

Volume scroll wheel just today on my 2013 Model S (91K miles out of warranty). I was hoping to be able to order parts online as mentioned by others, but I guess I'll be taking a trip to the service center as well.

My volume wheel just broke as well, looked the same as what @Pedro.Tx posted a while back. I ended up using the end of the 1.5mm bit (measured 1.7 across the flats) from my mini-screwdriver set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AL7600A). It pained me to take the bit, but for $14 it's a lot cheaper than buying the parts from Tesla.

Steps I took after disassembling the assembly with the wheel in it:
1. Drilled out the broken hex with a 3/32" bit. I went deeper than necessary to give excess epoxy a place to go.
1631106876682.png

2. Cut the end off the bit where it starts to taper down to the 1.5mm end
1631106800433.png

3. Coated the inside of the scroll wheel with epoxy and inserted the bit.
4. After the epoxy started to gel up (I used a 30 minute work life epoxy) I carefully aligned it to make sure it was perpendicular to the face of the wheel.
5. Cured overnight and reassembled.

1631106830536.png

Unless you have an unsupported vehicle (gray market or salvage title), you should be able to walk in a Service Center with your VIN and purchase the part over the counter. It's a hassle that you can't buy parts online, or call and have the parts waiting for you, but they will sell parts to any owner of a supported vehicle.

I’ve had success putting in a service ticket that just says “I would like to purchase part X for car VIN … to pick up at ABC service center” still takes a few weeks but since there is no phone number, it beats driving to the SC.