Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scrolling wheel on steering wheel easily breaks. Is the part available separately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great design... are you planning to make a few available for sale to TMC members?
I’ll definitely post the files to Thingaverse. I’m willing to give some away with the understanding that I don’t have any way of testing/knowing it’s durability. It’s the curse of 3D printing right now - materials are new and mostly untested.

I started to play with the idea of leaving a .020” to .032” hole down the center to epoxy a steel wire for strength. If that prints ok, I think it would be much more durable.

The version with a 0.020 hole down the center didn't print (well, it printed, but the hole closed up). The solid version looks great. Pics attached. Will try to run another one overnight with a 0.032 hole and see how that goes. I really prefer the idea of having a steel pin down the center. I think I got the look as close as I can. Its hard black plastic, not rubbery, but has the same grooves. I put the broken one next to the printed one for comparison. And clicked on it as long as my attention held - hasn't broken yet...

Looking at them side by side, I think the radius on the ends should be a bit larger.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.jpg
    IMG_8459.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_8460.JPG
    IMG_8460.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 115
I’ll definitely post the files to Thingaverse. I’m willing to give some away with the understanding that I don’t have any way of testing/knowing it’s durability. It’s the curse of 3D printing right now - materials are new and mostly untested.

I started to play with the idea of leaving a .020” to .032” hole down the center to epoxy a steel wire for strength. If that prints ok, I think it would be much more durable.
Nice work with your prototype. I'm happy to be a tester and pay for materials and postage... its hard to live without volume control. ;)

curious, how would you get epoxy evenly filled into a .032" hole? I can envision a tiny little pastry bag or syringe, but not sure how well epoxy would flow through that. Would definitely be a one-time use. Agree that's a good idea - that or have a hex-shaped hole through the center, and use a hex bit that runs the full length of the knob plus whatever needs to engage the encoder? Could get plenty of epoxy in there. Either way, I am really enjoying this thread!

curious, how would you get epoxy evenly filled into a .032" hole? I can envision a tiny little pastry bag or syringe, but not sure how well epoxy would flow through that. Would definitely be a one-time use. Agree that's a good idea - that or have a hex-shaped hole through the center, and use a hex bit that runs the full length of the knob plus whatever needs to engage the encoder? Could get plenty of epoxy in there. Either way, I am really enjoying this thread!
Hi. I would have used a metal hex bit if anyone can find one that’s 1.7mm.
I tried and couldn’t.

custom machining is ok at a certain part volume. (I could get 25 custom hex made from aluminum for $170 ($7 each). 100 would be $230. $2.30 each…

in terms of getting epoxy in. I generally would leave .005 clearance (.027” pin in a .032” hole) and then coat the pin with epoxy before sliding it in.

The 0.032” hole did print so I think I’m on the right track there…

Here it is with the .032" 3D printed hole and a steel wire. This should be better. Have one volunteer for testing already - anyone else want to try it out? Can't promise anything except I've given it the ol' college try... I just love that I can print a part like this. Good luck figuring out how to injection mold a plastic part with a straight sided, 1" deep, .032" hole...

IMG_8462.jpg

Here it is with the .032" 3D printed hole and a steel wire. This should be better. Have one volunteer for testing already - anyone else want to try it out? Can't promise anything except I've given it the ol' college try... I just love that I can print a part like this. Good luck figuring out how to injection mold a plastic part with a straight sided, 1" deep, .032" hole...

View attachment 709761
You Sir, are a hero.

Reactions: ayavner
I posted it to Thingiverse if you have access to a good printer. I used a Formlabs Form 2. The one I've been playing with is still holding up... I've got nine more sitting on my desk that I printed in the first test batch, so feel free to PM me if you want to be a beta tester (isn't every Tesla owner a beta tester...)

After I broke my scroll wheel I reached out to David, who kindly sent me a couple of 3D printed scroll wheels to test. I replaced my volume scroll wheel this evening. It was a straight forward process, and the 3D printed scroll wheel works perfectly. Thank you David! I'll report back on durability if/when it fails.

My volume wheel just broke as well, looked the same as what @Pedro.Tx posted a while back. I ended up using the end of the 1.5mm bit (measured 1.7 across the flats) from my mini-screwdriver set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AL7600A). It pained me to take the bit, but for $14 it's a lot cheaper than buying the parts from Tesla.

Steps I took after disassembling the assembly with the wheel in it:
1. Drilled out the broken hex with a 3/32" bit. I went deeper than necessary to give excess epoxy a place to go.
View attachment 706637
2. Cut the end off the bit where it starts to taper down to the 1.5mm end
View attachment 706635
3. Coated the inside of the scroll wheel with epoxy and inserted the bit.
4. After the epoxy started to gel up (I used a 30 minute work life epoxy) I carefully aligned it to make sure it was perpendicular to the face of the wheel.
5. Cured overnight and reassembled.

View attachment 706636

Nice BIT of work ;)