Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scrolling wheel on steering wheel easily breaks. Is the part available separately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Have the same issue, and being quite handy myself, I planned to fix it using the valuable info here.
But I'm on the fence, for maybe a silly reason: what is the risk of triggering the airbag when unmounting it ?

You have to de-energize the 12V system and wait ~15 minutes to make sure it’s fully de-energized. There are plenty of training materials online.

After that, it’s a simple “don’t be stupid” procedure. Avoid static buildup. Avoid touching the terminals. Leave the airbag facing up in a safe place so It doesn’t get accidentally triggered and doesn’t turn into a projectile if triggered.

P.s. happy to send you the 3D printed wheel if you want. Just pm a shipping address.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinP
I’ve heard the new scroll wheels feel different in the newer S. Is it worth it to replace both left and right modules while I’m in there replacing the broken one? I’d rather not take it all apart again in a few months to replace the one that’s intact, so if there’s any longevity benefit I will do both.

I’ve heard the new scroll wheels feel different in the newer S. Is it worth it to replace both left and right modules while I’m in there replacing the broken one? I’d rather not take it all apart again in a few months to replace the one that’s intact, so if there’s any longevity benefit I will do both.
Seems like the left wheel breaks more than the right, likely gets more use controlling audio. Personally I wouldn't bother with both but ultimately up to you.

If you just replace the plastic wheel, all the parts that matter for the feel - push buttons and rotary encoders - remain the same.

If you replace the whole assembly, then I don’t know…

The new scroll wheel is more robust and the pushbuttons have also changed to a new improved design.
The original buttons (2012-2015) were a 2-piece design and the new design is a 1-piece rocker design.
I had both replaced recently under the ESA extended warranty. ;)

1652987679170.png
1652987692771.png

Interesting. I have the one piece version in my car (12/2014 build).

Anyway, my point wasn’t that they aren’t different. It was that you can replace the scroll wheel if you want to keep the two sides with the same feel.

The new scroll wheel is more robust and the pushbuttons have also changed to a new improved design.
The original buttons (2012-2015) were a 2-piece design and the new design is a 1-piece rocker design.

View attachment 806230 View attachment 806231
Thanks for the info. I was going to buy this but I can see it’s the old version.

Reactions: FlatSix911

Do you know if the new one piece design will fit into a 2015 S which has the old two piece version?

Doing a little research, they're selling broken one piece parts for $25 shipped on EBay which means the new part is probably about as robust as the old one. So I may buy the broken part and fix it using the ideas in this thread. But I'm definitely not going to pay Tesla $200 + labor for something that will just break again. I want the fix to be better than before.

Tesla Model S Steering Wheel Voice Control Switch 1013242-00-E / one broken pin | eBay

Do you know if the new one piece design will fit into a 2015 S which has the old two piece version?

Doing a little research, they're selling broken one piece parts for $25 shipped on EBay which means the new part is probably about as robust as the old one. So I may buy the broken part and fix it using the ideas in this thread. But I'm definitely not going to pay Tesla $200 + labor for something that will just break again. I want the fix to be better than before.

Tesla Model S Steering Wheel Voice Control Switch 1013242-00-E / one broken pin | eBay
This is how I got some test parts to design from. The eBay parts I got only had broken wheels and nothing else wrong… I don’t know about backwards/forwards compatibility.

Reactions: EVChris

Yes, the new one-piece switch design will fit the 2015 Model S... I have the same year and Tesla did the retrofit.

Reactions: EVChris
My left scroll wheel just failed without the "pushed in" look as seen in all the photos I could find. I assumed it was a failed scroll encoder and was prepared to solder in a new one, but upon disassembling, it turns out this was the same broken pin failure everyone else is having. I fixed it by gluing in a hex bit from my micro-tool set. Just fyi in case anyone else has a failure without a pushed in wheel.

Reactions: EVChris and dmwahl