Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuba diving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm one final quiz away from being certified. Had one nice open water training dives, and had a great instructor, as well as two instructors in training, so for most of the four days. We had a one to one students to instructors. They all are fantastic trainers.

Going on two fun dives tomorrow before flying home on Saturday (yes, we know the rules and we're ok)

For our dives tomorrow, one of the two IITs is going to use his go pro to record the dives, so we don't have to fuss with it ourselves.

Well, I'm one final quiz away from being certified. Had one nice open water training dives, and had a great instructor, as well as two instructors in training, so for most of the four days. We had a one to one students to instructors. They all are fantastic trainers.

Going on two fun dives tomorrow before flying home on Saturday (yes, we know the rules and we're ok)

For our dives tomorrow, one of the two IITs is going to use his go pro to record the dives, so we don't have to fuss with it ourselves.
Congratulations to being certified. Since I assume that all your diving was VERY shallow a simple 24h wait after the last dive should be plenty to be safe to fly. Most likely you'd be completely desat in 12h :)

Our two dives today were both about 55 feet for about 40 minutes...with an SI of about 40 minutes. According to our PADI training, we are OK to fly in 18 hours.
Given that this is the off topic forum, I guess I could be excused for going off on a tangent here...
Let's start with... the science behind DCS is rather murky. And the way the data have been generated and then turned into rules is highly questionable.
And the way PADI then turns this into guidelines... similar to giving the BP CEO the power to decide how zero emission credits are handled (to try and tie things back to the forum for a moment).
I happen to have implemented a complete deco algorithm including a desaturation model on the surface. And let's just state that there are fundamentally two options: a) you agree that the decompression models are utter nonsense or b) you agree that the waiting times until you fly are utter nonsense. You can't believe in both unless you believe that 10 is less than 1.
So let's just say that based on the science that I find remotely credible and based on applying the most trusted algorithm and that science to typical dive profiles, you are perfectly safe to fly :)

My take is that deco algorithms are, generally, educated guesses that likely work for most people but given individual variation and our limited understanding of how inert gases are actually absorbed and released by multiple types of human tissues, are never going to absolutely guarantee that someone won't get DCS even if their dive falls well within the particular set of "rules" that their computer contains.

I did the GBR and was underwhelmed...

Based on my experience, I have trouble understanding how you could be underwhelmed.
Perhaps conditions or locations were different? The staff on my dive boat seemed to know the best reef spots well and took us to many fantastic places.
Also, sea temps, pollution, cyclones and other things can affect the health of the reef. Perhaps I went at a better time.

By the way, were you on a multi-day livaboard there? The reef is huge and the easy to get to places are not nearly as nice at the ones that take days to reach.

Based on my experience, I have trouble understanding how you could be underwhelmed.
Perhaps conditions or locations were different? The staff on my dive boat seemed to know the best reef spots well and took us to many fantastic places.
Also, sea temps, pollution, cyclones and other things can affect the health of the reef. Perhaps I went at a better time.

By the way, were you on a multi-day livaboard there? The reef is huge and the easy to get to places are not nearly as nice at the ones that take days to reach.
Multi day livaboard with Pro Dive out of Cairns in January of 2011. 13 dives on about half a dozen reefs. It may have been the incoming cat 5 cyclone that caused viz to be bad. It might have been the boat crew (seriously do not recommend them).
All I can say is that I have been to many places with similar or better diving. Lord Howe or Christmas Island if you want to stay in Australia. Fiji, Fernando de Noronha in Brazil, Okinawa, Bonaire and of course Palau...
I wasn't trying to imply that it was bad - maybe "underwhelmed" was the wrong word (I keep reminding people that English is my third language). It just didn't live up to the hype. And was nowhere near the best diving I've ever done.

I do! Though only to the local quarry :( My "proper" diving is generally abroad. I've done some UK coastal diving, but it's hard not to prefer the Red Sea, especially when a whole week is <£900 for all your food, flights, diving and live-a-board accommodation.

My single 12L steel cylinder fits easily in the rear "foot well", with just enough room to spare for padding it out with various towels and stuff, to secure it.

I've transported myself 2 other divers, 3 gear gulpers, drysuits, undersuits, torches, reels, etc. etc. (I'm a PADI DM, and was helping out on a couple of courses)

I have discovered a couple of slight issues using a Model S as a dive transport though.

1) The magnetic "compressed gas" sign you are supposed to have on the car won't stick (for obvious reasons)

2) What to do with the key whilst diving. Once I was getting kitted up, and left the fob in the boot (trunk). It was raining so I shut the tailgate, turned round to give someone a hand up with their cylinder... car locked :( . With no 3G signal it meant I had to leave the car at the dive site and get a lift home wearing my undersuit :D

Flying the Tesla flag at Roca Partida in the Revillagigedo Islands. Photos used with permission.
Flying_the_Tesla_flag.jpg
Tesla_flag_RDM.jpg

Nice... though if you are going to take Tesla flag shots U/W you need a red filter :D

Though I've just gone for taking everything in RAW now, and fixing it up later. Here are some from my last trip.

I think the results are pretty good for a basic Olympus PEN Mini with a kit lens.

Clown.JPG
Dolphin 3.JPG
Lion Fish.JPG

Is it my imagination, or are there two green fishead like objects photoshopped on the lion fish's antenna?

Nope, not your imagination, but it's a genuine photo!

This was in the Red Sea (where I've seen 1000's of Lion Fish over the years). Normally I don't bother photographing them any more. But this one caught my eye, so I took the photo specifically because of the fish like antenna, which I'd never seen before.

Slightly unfortunately from a photography POV, the autofocus got confused by the "eyes" on the antenna so it got critical focus on these rather than the lion fishes actual eyes :( (Manual focus with my set up is impossible as there is no access to the focussing ring or focus peeking)

I particularly like the crab from a photography POV, and love the movement in the Octopus shot!

Though they are all great shots... Bravo!

I'm now sat here planning my next big dive trip.... there goes the P85D fund :)

I've done Red Sea, Oz, Iceland, Cozumel, Maldives, but I'm really getting into wreck dives so Truk has got to be on the list ;)