Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E - Charging PW from grid & grid export

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specific to SDG&E customers -

Do anyone know where to find the rules regarding exporting power to the grid from PW? I searched through my emails about PTO when I got the ESS and there's nothing, just permission to operate and no links to any further info. I've searched my account and have not found anything. I'm unsure if it is permissible to discharge energy from PW that was generated from solar to the grid.

Any links would be appreciated.

Those rules are related to the tax credit you took or didnt take, they are not utility rules for most. You wont find it because (in CA) the utilities will tell you that they dont control that.

Back before tesla enabled some of us to be able to charge from the grid in the app, several people here were chasing rules etc as to "why" this was not enabled. The Utilities pointed at Tesla and tesla said (basically, vaguely) that they didnt allow it because of the tax credit.

Whether you can discharge stored energy from your powerwall to the utility depends on if you took the tax credit, and when, at least thats my understanding of it.

Those rules are related to the tax credit you took or didnt take, they are not utility rules for most. You wont find it because (in CA) the utilities will tell you that they dont control that.

Back before tesla enabled some of us to be able to charge from the grid in the app, several people here were chasing rules etc as to "why" this was not enabled. The Utilities pointed at Tesla and tesla said (basically, vaguely) that they didnt allow it because of the tax credit.

Whether you can discharge stored energy from your powerwall to the utility depends on if you took the tax credit, and when, at least thats my understanding of it.
When I talked to Tesla about this, I got the comment it is up to the customer to deal with the legal stuff. I believe one has to check they understand this before grid charging is enabled.

Whether or not one took the tax credit for Powerwalls has to do with grid charging and is outside the scope of the utility agreement. I'm not interested in grid charging, but if I can discharge my unused power generated from solar between my peak 4-9 and get NEM peak credits, I'll do it. I don't know if it is permitted.

The interconnection agreement in my Tesla account doesn't mention anything regarding this.

All I have found is this generic page: Credit Cap | San Diego Gas & Electric

Since the PW was charged from solar, it IS renewable generation - just exported later. It wouldn't be outside the amount of power my solar could generate since it was generated by the solar, just sent to battery and not to grid.

I read a post around here a bit ago about a PG&E customer who had much more data about this from their utility than I can find for SDG&E.

Whether or not one took the tax credit for Powerwalls has to do with grid charging and is outside the scope of the utility agreement. I'm not interested in grid charging, but if I can discharge my unused power generated from solar between my peak 4-9 and get NEM peak credits, I'll do it. I don't know if it is permitted.

The interconnection agreement in my Tesla account doesn't mention anything regarding this.

All I have found is this generic page: Credit Cap | San Diego Gas & Electric

Since the PW was charged from solar, it IS renewable generation - just exported later. It wouldn't be outside the amount of power my solar could generate since it was generated by the solar, just sent to battery and not to grid.

I read a post around here a bit ago about a PG&E customer who had much more data about this from their utility than I can find for SDG&E.

In my tesla energy app, I now have both a setting for charging from the grid, and a setting to export solar only or export everything. I am neither grid charging, nor exporting everything (only solar) but those settings appeared in my tesla app the same time everyone here started talking about tesla turning on grid charging.

There are some people who didnt get those settings from what I read here, but I didnt dig too deeply into it because it didnt impact me (I have the settings, but have no need to use them at this time).

If this was a "utility" restriction it seems to me that tesla wouldnt have turned them on for anyone at all.
That (quite extensive) discussion around those settings was in this thread:

I remember several people fighting with tesla to get these settings enabled. If you have them enabled, it seems to me that its up to you on how you set it up (export everything, etc). If you dont, then perhaps contact tesla to see why you dont have them.

I have them. I didn't want to enable solar export then have SDG&E sending me love letters about it.

I think this is what I'm looking for: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...NET+ENERGY+METERING+GENERATING+FACILITIES.PDF

PDF warning

from here: Energy storage net metering: An illustration of why it's so valuable

EDIT: PG&E provides more detail: https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...ggregation/NEM-Paired-Storage-Billing-FAQ.pdf

was hoping for similar on SDG&E site, but can only find this vague blurb: Credit Cap | San Diego Gas & Electric

EDIT2: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/elec_elec-scheds_nem.pdf This must be it, just less friendly reading than PG&E's link.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin