TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SDGE - Financial Analysis - TOU vs EV Plans - EV-TOU5 unsurpassed?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by SanDiegoM3, May 12, 2019.

?

Which SDGE plan is the best?

This poll will close on May 11, 2020 at 2:48 AM.
  1. TOU-DR1

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. EV-TOU-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. EV-TOU-5

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. SanDiegoM3

SanDiegoM3 Member

I've been looking for anyone on the internet to have gone through the analysis in a spreadsheet on the various TOU and EV plans, but it's only been forum post commentary versus financial analysis:

TOU-DR1
    EV-TOU-2
    EV-TOU-5

Has anyone made a calculation that takes into account, baseline allowance, baseline+, (perhaps 400% surcharge), thereafter on-peak and off-peak, in a way that an individual could enter their own usage ratios to understand how much they would save on the various plans? I didn't find anything, but I thought the solar people might have done this.

Based on my research, the $16/monthly fee plus ~$0.09 per kWh is very attractive and eats into the potential attractiveness of solar.

I made my own spreadsheet that takes into account everything above except for 400% surcharges and unless you're retired and going through one full 75kWh a month you're saving on EV-TOU5. Anyone disagree?

• Like x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No financial analysis done ..but I have been on every TOu plan SDGE has had going back to 2014 when I got first S ...have been on tou5 since last year and can confirm it’s been the cheapest ;)

3. rebirth24

rebirth24 New Member

Sorry to bring back a seemingly DEAD thread, but I was wondering what the thoughts are on EV-TOU-2 vs. EV-TOU-5 when you HAVE Solar? I mean I work from home so I can charge during "Generation Hours" and I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra $16 and charging during Super Off Peak ($.09/kwH) or just charging in the middle of the day when I am at my peak generation and sticking with TOU-2 (No fee)?

Side Question - I believe as Solar users we have a minimum $10 a month charge. Does anyone know if the the $16 for TOU-5 counts towards that minimum charge?