Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seal issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have an appointment with my SC for next Monday for some dash rattle issues that have finally gotten bad enough for me to care, no big deal there. Also need to get the front passenger door realigned as the B pillar wind noise is getting out of hand. However, since we took the car to Tahoe and through the rain I have now found multiple spots where various seals (pano and rear doors) are coming unstuck from their double sided tape. While I haven't had any leaks that I can find, it's a bit odd to find 3 different places where the seals are coming "unglued".

Has anyone else seen this before? My primary problems center around the pano roof seal thats right after the opening towards the front when the roof is opened, I can actually pick that seal up and move it around... The other two areas are at the bottom right (when facing the opening) of the rear passenger doors (both sides), where the inside seal that stays on the car is well, no longer stuck.

Getting these fixed shouldn't be much of an issue but it does make me wonder just how much of the seals are held on with double sided tape and thus, how many more issues am I going to have?

Thanks,
Jeff

Okay so I can't figure out how to edit my own post.... The button is now gone, or at least moved to where I can't find it... Hate the new design BTW...

In any case, to be clear, I mean the bottom right towards the rear of the car when standing outside facing the rear passenger door openings...

Jeff

EDIT: Okay so it seems you can edit a subsequent post but can't edit the first post, odd...

Okay so I can't figure out how to edit my own post.... The button is now gone, or at least moved to where I can't find it... Hate the new design BTW...

The button is still there, under your post lower left hand side. Same as old Tesla, you can only edit for X minutes/hours after you make the initial post.

As to the seals, all mine are glued fine, so no help here.

...the seals are coming "unglued". Has anyone else seen this before?...
Yes, on Model X. My front door forward seal is attached with the sticky "tape" on the rubber seal. Saw it loose when drying the seals after washing the vehicle.

Looking at my 2012 Model S Signature, it appears the seals at the front door are attached firmly at various points. No loose seals on those doors.

I do have concern with the "tape" method as it is used frequently with Model X. If there are going to be problems, let it be now - before Model 3 is engineered with something that may have a limited life span.

So far, I've had one pano leak that affected the A pillar area, and, separately, pano noise. The former was addressed by component replacement, and the latter by some tape or grease or both. I have noticed that the pano seals don't always seal as well as they could, which does suggest that water may get in there again. I love the pano roof concept, but this is clearly a problem.

The driver's door seal wore through last year due to a headliner misalignment that I fought through since month 1 and finally got resolved in month 11ish. As it turns out, they didn't quite seat the new door seal well, so it's wearing again and will probably need to be replaced later this year.

Not looking forward to dealing with these kinds of problems after 50,000 miles, which is why I'm leaning toward selling the car in a few months as will be at 50,000 miles in about month 18. Depreciation is predictable - unlimited repairs are not. It's either that or hoping for the best until months 36-39 (GRV less mileage hit will then be an option). The original plan was to keep the car for the full 8 years - now it's going to be 3 years or 1.5 years depending. Not a smart use of money or time.

A shame since the drivability remains unparalleled (TACC is vastly improved after a year of tweaking, and Autosteer will get there eventually), tires are holding up great at 40,000+ miles, and so forth. Even my Porsche-driving friends are considering the unthinkable *chuckle*.

...how much of the seals are held on with double sided tape...?...
Is the double sided tape like this door seal on Model X? The mounting tape is about 1/4" wide and has lost stickiness.

This is a front door seal that has been flipped over after it came loose about 4 months after delivery. Original post with more photos of this Model X seal is here: Road Noise ? That bad ?

Seal Adhesive.JPG

That's unfortunate, the double sided tape approach can work as 3M has done wonders with automotive grade adhesive but for some reason, at least on my car and apparently on your X, Tesla either isn't applying them correctly to begin with or isn't properly prepping the surface...

Jeff

Just discovered mine is like that too.

Anyone fix theirs and how has it held up?

Got mobile service scheduled for tomorrow. I'm guess they will just remove the old one and stick a new one on there, but I'm curious how long that will last and when the weather seals on the other doors fell off... I would expect those automotive double-stick tape to last longer than couple years, I've only had the car for 1.5 year and it fell off, so fingers crossed...

Got mobile service scheduled for tomorrow. I'm guess they will just remove the old one and stick a new one on there, but I'm curious how long that will last and when the weather seals on the other doors fell off... I would expect those automotive double-stick tape to last longer than couple years, I've only had the car for 1.5 year and it fell off, so fingers crossed...

Update after mobile service came to fix it. Tesla mobile service guy peals the old one off, cleaned up the remaining adhesive with glass cleaner. Then he wiped it clean and put the new weather seal on. He said he don’t know how that fell off as they are using 3M automotive double stick tapes like everyone else, so hopefully this time will held up longer. It only took him 10-20min for the whole thing, spent most time cleaning the remaining adhesive.

He said if it’s out of warranty, the rubber seal part cost is around 70-80USD, and is a easy replacement. He also suggest me get a bottle of Wurth rubber care to keep the rubber parts of the car door lubricated as the Texas weather can be hot and dry during the summer. That rubber care spray is what they use at Tesla as well to clean and protect all rubber trims around the car.