TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sealant seepage on rear of car?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by bikeandsail, Apr 30, 2017.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I have just noticed some black stuff in the gap above the chrome plastic on the rear of the car in the gap between the plastic and the painted trunk. The car is about 10 months old and this just appeared. At first I thought I had picked up some dirt but the stuff is really tough like a sealant on some type. It would be a serious effort IMG_20170427_085811.jpg IMG_20170427_085758.jpg to remove it from the gap.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. BrettS

BrettS Member

I'm not sure what it is... I'm not sure it's a sealant because I don't know where it would have come from or why it would suddenly appear. I don't believe that there is any sealant from the factory near that location.

I do know that there are lots of instructions and videos out there on how to remove that chrome trim piece, which should make it easier for you to get in there and clean it. Search for "lighted rear appliqué"

3. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Maybe it's the adhesive they use to adhere that trim piece. Maybe it's expanded and oozed out?