Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sealant/wax used in prep or transport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Picked up my MYLR today, when I picked it up it was clear that the car had just received a quick wash as it was fairly dirty with lots of water spots, etc.

When I got it home I started actually cleaning it properly and in several places I have what appear to be scratches but is actually some kind of adhesive, sealant or other residue. I removed one small mark/line on a wing mirror but it took a bit more force than I was comfortable using, I don't want to scratch the clear coat. This other line is right down the driver's side door.

Does anyone know what Tesla uses to do the prep (if anything)?

I'm considering whether I should spray it with alcohol (Gyeon Prep) to try to remove it or if that might remove other protectant products Tesla has used on the vehicle. My other option is to take my random orbital polisher to it.

The car is already scheduled to go back to the service center in 18 days as both of the front seats have issues that will require the cushions to be replaced. I'd prefer to resolve this one on my own without waiting for it to go back.

I clay barred my '18 M3 with Gyeon, then put on a ceramic coating and later used The Last Coat, a ceramic "wax". On my '22 PY, I just wiped it with Gyeon and a couple coats of The Last Coat. You shouldn't have to worry about Gyeon damaging the clear coat.

Okay thanks. Clay barring it and Gyeon will probably be all it needs I just don’t want to damage the paint or remove something Tesla did with it. It’s quite odd to see adhesive type materials on a delivered car. Eventually I will do a full polish and ceramic on the car but it will have to warm up for that.

Mine had a few of those (line) marks, I removed them by soaking a rag with 3M adhesive cleaner.
EE485709-1657-41B2-AFB5-CBFDD1DDB8B3.jpeg

Thanks. It's really annoying honestly considering what I am paying for this vehicle that they couldn't spend the time needed to make it ready for delivery. I also have both of the front seat cushions needing to be replaced as one was scratched and the other had an obvious deformation/defect in it.

The worst is there was a nickel sized gob of adhesive on one of the induction rims and I had to be fairly aggressive trying to remove it, hopefully I didn't scuff it.